SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michelle_phxaz

Introducing mama cat to my own three cats

michelle_phxaz
12 years ago

About a month ago at work one of the parking lot stray cats who is extremely friendly (I think a dump job, she is too friendly) literally jumped into my car on my lap one night while I was sitting in the car petting her while she was next to my car. Being such a cat lover I brought her home, but while we were driving (she fell sound asleep on my lap on the ride home) I was petting her the whole time and could feel she was a little "rotund" for being a stray and when I put my hand on her stomach, sure enough, I could feel babies moving around.

We got home and I put her in the spare bedroom where she could be alone, got her groomed (she was filthy from the parking lot and had lots of extra fur from not wanting to clean the grease and oil off herself) and she settled in.

About two weeks later, 5 beautiful, healthy kittens were born (I watched the whole thing, what an amazing process) and she is a great mama. One day as I opened her door she caught site of one of my other cats and went "mama cat" on them and chased them down the hall. I called her name and she came running back to her babies. She is great with people, but doesn't want (for obvious reasons) to have my other cats near her.

Okay, back to the question. How long until I can try to introduce her to my other three? The plan is that our temporary roommate wants Amy (mama) and a baby, and I have people who have committed to the kittens. I don't know how long my roommate will live here though, so if he is still here in 8 weeks (when the kittens are weaned and ready to be adopted) I don't want to have to have Amy locked in a room by herself, and I want to raise the kittens outside the room as well as in it so they can have room to run around and be, well, kittens.

And how do I introduce Amy? I have tried the baby gate with another cat and the cats just jump it. I don't want to confine her to the room, but I want to do this gently and correctly. My other cats would love the kittens and have no problems with them, they are no threat but Amy already has that wariness.

Any help would be great!

Comments (7)