SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renee_fl

Introducing New Cat (Help!!)

renee_fl
16 years ago

I just took in KC and here is here story:

A couple had found her with a huge gash in her neck. They took her to the vet and treated her horrible wound and she survived. They have two indoor kitties - one an aggressive 22 pound male - and could not bring her inside. They started calling her KC - short for Kitty Cat.

KC is a sweet and loving kitty. The couple fell in love with her as did everyone else in their retirement park but sadly no one could make KC an indoor kitty. She wanted inside and always would try to get in their home.

The nice couple took KC to the vet for shots. It was too late - KC was pregnant and subsequently had five kittens. During the time KC was pregnant and after she had her kittens she got in some bad catfights. KC is a small eight pound cat and she got beat up pretty bad.

The couple was brokenhearted about this as was I when I met her (she was still pregnant at the time) and I decided to take KC in to my home after her kittens were weaned and had found homes.

Yesterday a coworker took her last three kittens. The original plan was that KC was going to get spayed on Tuesday (we didn't think the kittens would all be gone by then) and I would pick her up the following Saturday.

So yesterday I picked up KC and took her home. On my way there I took her to the vet and had her checked out again. She was retested for Feline Leukemia/AIDS (negative), worms (negative) and had a skin scraping done one an injury on her face (negative). She was treated for fleas and isn't due for her booster yet. The vet even remarked what a sweet cat she was - she never struggled or cried.

I have three kitties of my own and KC is isolated in my spare bedroom. My kitties are curious and milling around the door. I spent a lot of time with KC and even slept on the daybed in that room last night with her - she was next to me all night. It is obvious to me that she was an indoor kitty.

Ths morning I cracked the bedroom door and KC snarled, growled and swung. My cats have an occasional scuffle but nothing like what I saw in KC. I don't want my cats to get hurt - one is older and has some arthiritis in hips. None of them are fighters and although they are all bigger than KC I think she could hurt them as she had to defend herself and her kittens before and she knows how to fight.

I know KC lost the home she has known and the couple that adopted her on top of losing her kittens all in a day. We were so concerned that she would roam and look for her kittens or get pregnant (she has not yet been spayed - I want to wait until she adjusts to her new surroundings first) that we thought I should take her right away. I hope I did the right thing.

KC is a wonderful cat and I truly want things to work out. I know I can't keep her if she remains aggressive. I don't think she is an agressive cat - she has just had some terrible experiences with other cats. I am hoping that with time will come trust.

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions to make the transition as smooth as possible. Thank you.

Comments (6)