SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gabro14

catherization of a dog?

gabro14
15 years ago

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this being done.

As some might remember (and Meghane, you helped me out a lot with this), my dog Sawyer, a chocolate lab, is 10 years old and has scar tissue compressing her spinal cord as a result of removal of a spinal meningioma 4 years ago, followed by radiation.

Because of this scar tissue, she has many neurological problems (hind leg weakness, bowel movement incontinence, and neurogenic bladder). The one I am most concerned about is neurogenic bladder. It's gotten to the point where she cannot urinate on her own, so I express her bladder frequently throughtout the day. The problem is that she has constant UTI's (she is on pulse antibiotics, 2 weeks on and 1 week off), so the holistic vet I am seeing told me that her bladder is not fully emptying if she has constant UTI's. This puts her at risk for kidney failure.

I am planning on taking her back to her regular vet to get his opinion, and I also have an appt with the holistic vet on Saturday. I want to ask them both about catheterization, and if that will help get all the urine out. Is that even possible with dogs? She is very happy and not in pain, and I don't want to do anything to give her pain or make her uncomfortable. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

Comments (14)