SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

N-day for Dustin and already its off to bad start

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I am not well off financially. When I got Dustin my mother said she'd help with emergency vet bills so I was sure that if he got sick I'd have help to pay it off without a terrible strain on my tight budget.

When I got Dustin he came with a certificate from the Humane Society (Ontario, Canada) that would cover the cost of the neutering. I read and clarified that the neutering was covered but if he required IV meds or bloodwork it would be extra but that I could expect to not pay for anything when I brought him in today. I got a check up and a stool test for 145 dollars to prepare him for the surgery and was honest at all times, repeatedly, that I wasn't in a good financial situation and that I wanted to be informed of additional costs unless it was something life-threatening during surgery which they could go ahead with.

I was told Dustin could not be neutered until he had his rabies shot, which he got on the 18th, and then it would be at least 2 weeks after so we booked his appointment today the 3rd of September. I even went in Saturday and asked specifically, noting again my financial situation, if there were other charges I could expect and was told I could expect to not have to pay for anything (unless something came up).

Today when I dropped him off they presented me with a form to sign that listed the cost of items on the list for the neutering and IV fluids and bloodwork were on it. When questioned I was told that, as of Labour Day (2 days ago), it was now MANDITORY that the pets get IV fluids and have bloodwork done to ensure all his vital organs are working properly (I don't know how fast their bloodwork is but I had to drop off the stool for testing in advance so they'd be aware before the surgery, i would think bloodwork would have had to be done so results were ready prior to surgery).

Reluctantly I signed the form but it has been very upsetting to me. This will put a significant financial burden on me this month and I would have prepared for the additional costs when planning my budget if I had known earlier. I also wonder who made it manditory, the vet or a governing body. Dustin's safety and recovery are my first concerns but I needed to know this and prepare before the day I bring him in.

I am going to call some other local vets to see if the policy is mandatory for all vets or if this clinic has made it mandatory. I also want quotes from them regarding the costs of the procedures I've already had done. They have a notice in the office stating that they do not make payment arrangements but I feel in my case they should make an exception. I feel I've been misleaded and while they are close and I was comfortable with the way the vet handled Dustin during the check up this incident makes me seriously consider finding another vet.

I'm afraid I am not very tactful in person and want to discuss these issues with the vet but would appreciate some advice on how to go about it without antagonizing anyone. Should I insist on speaking to the vet instead of the staff? Does anyone else think I am right to feel they should make some arrangements in my situation to ease the financial burden their miscommunication lead to? I was very specific on Saturday stating the information from the shelter stated it did not cover IV and bloodwork and other things and needed to have an idea of what I might have to pay if something is not covered. The counter staff said that the weekend staff is only part-time so might not have been aware of the change but one of them mentioned earlier that they had stretched the time a few months to accommodate people (but didn't go into further detail). So they knew for a few months but the part-time staff didn't? I could tell they were a bit uncomfortable discussing the situation with me. I figured if I went to another vet I'd have to pay for another check up and that was 115 dollars so I might as well have the surgery today since I have only 6 weeks after adoption to use the certificate.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Comments (16)