SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

outdoor cats are pooping in all the wrong places - help me train

gottagarden
15 years ago

I live in the country on 40 acres, house waaaay back off the road. I had two cats that lived for 15 years and loved being outside. I never saw where they pooped.

We just got 3 adorable little kitties from the shelter and they do not seem to have the usual cat instincts of hiding their poop. They all like to poop and pee about 6 inches off the patio. One poops on top of the grass. The others poop in the flower bed, also only a foot away from the patio and they don't cover it up! If I wanted piles of poop all over my lawn I would have gotten a dog! It stinks like a port-a-potty on the patio now! We now have a swarm of flies. It's terrible.

I have taken to spending a couple hours in the morning with a hose to squirt them if they try it, but they literally wait until I go inside for just a couple minutes, then do their business. They are so sneaky!

What is wrong with these cats?

I have lots of flower beds elsewhere with lovely soft mulch and I do not mind them going in my flower beds, just not off the patio where we have to smell it and put up with flies. And why don't they cover it?

How can I train them? I cannot stay on the porch all day with a hose. Please help with your ideas.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals