SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weed30

For Munkos (and other beagle owners)

weed30 St. Louis
16 years ago

How did you get your beagle to stop tearing things up?!! I got a rescue beagle in July, she's at least 1, possibly 2 years old. I walk her before I leave for work and when I get home. A neighbor lets them out midday. I play with her, and my other dog plays with her. She has plenty of toys. When I catch her with something, I give her a stern NO and then give her one of her toys.

It does no good! At first I was not crating her while I was gone, but I would come home to a disaster. She is very small for a beagle, only 17#, yet managed to drag a phone book into the dining room and shred it. She would jump from my bed onto my dresser and get something to chew. If I made the mistake of leaving any closet door open, she'd find something in there and chew it up. I could go on.

I know she needs more exercise - my other dog is 13 1/2 and can't keep up with her. I'm trying to find a neighbor with a dog who will wear her out, as well as joining a dog park.

In addition, she is kind of independent/stubborn. I keep reading that beagles really aren't driven to please you like other dogs. ANY tips would be appreciated!

Comments (20)