SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

a cautionary tale: Do a credit check on your GC

melissastar
13 years ago

Some of you have heard my long tale of woe about my kitchen remodel, etc. March marks month 11 and though it's mostly done, it's not finished and I begin to wonder if it ever will be. I won't reiterate here the long series of screw-ups my GC has committed or the hilarious list of excuses I have heard.

But I wanted to offer this one piece of advice I don't believe I have seen elsewhere to anyone about to commit to a contract. Do a credit check on any general contractor you hire for any job of considerable value. It may not always have been necessary. But I am convinced that had I insisted on one at the get-go, I might have saved myself an extraordinary amount of headache and heartache.

The short version of my GC story is that most of the delays we've encountered are the result of his lack of funds. I think he's been badly hurt in this recession and frankly, I think he's juggling funds from my job to cover expenses on other jobs and his personal expenses. Although, fortunately, he was never really "ahead" on his draw...always up to what had been finished...it would sometimes take a month to get a subcontractor in to do a job. I realized only after many months of this that it was because the GC didn't have the funds to pay him promptly or to buy the materials...because he'd used what he'd gotten from me for something/somebody else. He has also repeatedly tried to get away with doing something on the cheap, only to be called on it by me, then have to rip it out and redo properly, causing further delays.

The bottom line is that my job will eventually get done and I won't be too badly stung financially. But it has been a nightmare...both living with the chaos and not being sure what was happening and if he was going to disappear. Had I done a credit check at the beginning I might have found nothing, since his problems clearly worsened over the last year. But I might have found enough late payments and overextension of credit to have set off alarms and sent me looking for someone else. Oh..and yes, he came well recommended, by amongst others, a work colleague. But, of course, he did the work for them BEFORE the recession.

Comments (9)