SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
habs4life

Going on vacation- what to do with cat?

habs4life
13 years ago

Hello,

First of all, I'm sure this has been asked before, so I apologize. I just want to ask someone who is experienced and who may have already been in this situation before.

Here is the story..it's pretty simple.

I'm going on vacation for 12 days in a few weeks. I have a one year old cat who has never been alone for more than maybe a day and a half before. There is always someone home with him. I work opposite shifts from everyone else at home, so when I'm gone, the others come home, and the other way around. Anyway, this time everyone will be on vacation.

I asked my neighbor if he could come in to feed the cat once a day, to which he said yes. I was alright with it until I stopped to think about it. I know my neighbor will give him food and make sure he's alive and well, but I don't think he will really sit there, pet him and play with him. My worst fear is that my cat will go crazy, get hurt, sick, etc while I'm gone. My cat loves attention and I just can't imagine what he will do with no contact other than a few minutes a day for that long. At this point in time I'm even considering boarding him, although I've read that it may not be the best thing to do. Has anyone been through this, or can anyone offer me any kind of advice? I can't go on this trip and worry about him the whole time. I need to know that he will be safe and alright, but unfortunately I don't know what my best option is. Thanks in advance for everyone's replies!

Comments (13)