SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treasuretheday

Do you have any 'happy accident' stories to share?

treasuretheday
12 years ago

There have been plenty of posts about things that did not come out quite as planned. Sometimes it's a contractor's mistake, sometimes it's on us. When you start with a vision for a room and one of the elements turns out not to fit that vision, what happens next? Of course, sometimes wrong is just WRONG and needs to be redone, replaced, etc. But sometimes, it becomes what's known as a "happy accident" when disappointment can lead to a room that is just right, after all.

If you have a story to share, it might give some encouragement (or at least perspective) to others who might need to know that they are not alone.

Here's mine...

We are 10 months into a complete gut-job renovation of our master bath. My husband and I have GC'd because, as commercial property owners, we have relationships with most of the trades that were needed. It has been a long and educational process that has had more than its share of challenges, due in part because this bathroom is filled with radius edges, elliptical arches, and 45 degree angles. We hired a lovely Amish gentleman who came highly recommended to make our three vanities, two of which have upper cabinets and valances. He lives about 3 hours north of us and makes the trip down to our area with the help of a driver. During one of our pre-construction meetings, we brought out a 6" piece of cabinet stain sample and cut it in half so that we would each have a sample of the color that we chose for the vanities.

On the day that the cabinets were to be installed, I was sicker than I had been in years. If it had been anyone but "Jacob" coming, I would have rescheduled. My husband came and got me from the couch by saying "You'd better take a look at these... they are really dark." Now, I'm not certain what happened but I suspect that Jacob's half of the sample disappeared and he went from memory (and a telephone conversation with my DH in which my DH mentioned their "espresso" color!) Anyway, they stopped screwing the cabinets into the walls and left my DH and me in the room to ponder the situation. Jacob was very apologetic and fully prepared to take them all back and remake everything.

We had a room full of tile and the granite tub surround had already been installed so we were committed to a color scheme and I had a very clear vision of the room I wanted. I could barely stand up and, in those few minutes, we needed to decide whether the cabinets, which were obviously not what we had wanted, were going to be something that we would regret or could we be happy with them. We ultimately decided to keep the cabinets so installation continued.

Over the next few days, I went into that room a lot... letting myself adjust to the new look. It didn't take long for my husband and I to realize that the cabinets were just the right color for the room after all. As the rest of our granite was installed and the other elements are coming together, I can't imagine my room without the rich dark cabinets that Jacob made for us. We're so close to the end now and I can't wait to share photos of the finished room with all of you.

Comment (1)