SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahmakes6

Running toilets... Are my repair attempts on track?

sarahmakes6
16 years ago

I have 4 toilets in my 3 year old house, all of which run. DH is not handy or interested in becoming so and wants me to call a plumber, but I'm a can-do type who enjoys a project and thought I'd try to tackle this on my own first.

The problem is the same in each toilet: fills fine after flushing and the water stops normally. The water then slowly drains out of the tank until it runs ~ many times a day. I do believe this is probably my fault as I used bleach tabs in the tank for the first year.

I did research online and then replaced all the flaps myself. That seemed to solve the problem for 2 of the toilets, but not the other two. I then dropped the dye tabs into the tanks of the two still running and the dye spread almost instantly into the bowl. This indicates I have a rather major leak, yes?

More research leads me to believe I probably have leaking flush valves. I bought a kit to replace the entire valve, which involves a sticky rubber gasket to glue a new valve down over the old. I'm hesistant to install that.

Yet more reseach indicates I may be at the point where I need to replace the entire guts of the tank. Before I go that route I was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice or feedback. Should I chuck in my project and call a plumber, or am I on the right track?

Thanks.

Comments (15)