SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetchastity

Possible blood beside litter box

sweetchastity
15 years ago

I went to clean the litter box and saw something on the floor that I thought was a nugget that missed the box. I didn't have the light on in the room but there was light from my bedroom which gave me enough light to see the task at hand. I tried to scoop it up and it smeared on the floor. Looking at it and wiping it up showed it's red with some brown but it definitely looks like blood. I know it didn't come from me and I've inspected Dustin, as much as he'll let me look back there, and while there are some black flecks I wiped off with soft paper towel they weren't big enough to show if it was bloody.

I saved a sample but the lab test costs $30+ dollars, I had it done before he was neutered on the 3rd of this month, so I want to be sure I'm not over-reacting because I do that. I've changed his dry food without mixing it with his old food but tomorrow I plan to buy a bag of his regular food. He's only eaten a bit of the moist I put out, has eaten the new food but doesn't seem to like it and does eat his snacks. I have started to give him Vaseline White Petroleum Jelly U.S.P. (the named brand) to help prevent hairballs and its been about a week I started.

He's drinking and eating (but the way he second glances the food I know he doesn't like it as much so isn't eating as much as he used to), pooping and peeing, and his behaviour seems normal. I have let the litter box go a few days without scooping because I couldn't seem to get the garbage to contain the smell (I finally resorted to using ziplock bags to contain it).

I am prepared to take the specimen to the vet but financially I'm still struggling. I don't want to take a risk with his health though but I'm not even sure where the blood, if that was what it was, came from. I can't think of anything I have that is red except jam and it would have been sticky. I don't see any visible marks on his body and am only assuming its in his feces because it was beside the litter box. Looking him over, except for a couple black specks, I can't see any sign that blood is coming from his feces or his urine. I haven't seen anything around his usually nesting grounds though I haven't looked under the bed. I turned on the light so I had a good look at what I was scooping out of the litter box and nothing looked like blood (I was a community nurse so its been a while since I've looked at someone's feces for blood but the litter box is different than the toilet).

The vet mentioned during his exam that Dustin had a pudgy belly but he's a slim cat. Then blood work and stool tests came back all good. Can anyone offer any advice? I did search the internet to see if Vaseline was safe for cats, even though we gave it to my first cat who lived to be around 20, and what I read said as long as it was white petroleum jelly that it was ok.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I am the type to overreact, or perhaps my family is just more laid back. They would wait and watch and see if more blood appears. But if I had a secure income, I'd take him in anytime I suspected anything was wrong. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury so I need your help to make the right decision.

Comments (11)