SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catlettuce

The crate debate continued..

catlettuce
15 years ago

What about crating for sleep at night?

I have a 16 month old black lab that I crated at night and when she was unsupervised for 14 months until she stopped her chewing the trim off the walls and I was confidant she would be a good girl when we were not at home. I started leaving her out to sleep in the living room and then after a few months removed her crate all together-she is doing great except for the occasioanl counter-surfing if I leave the butter out :0(.

However I have a 9 month old mini-daschaund (my first small dog) and he sleeps in his crate on some warm bedding every night. HE asks/paws the door of his crate at bedtime, I give him a treat and he goes in & goes to sleep. He has free run of the house when I'm home which is most of the time.

I am still working with training him & he still chews/gets into things but is getting better all the time.

Though I must say it is much different than training labs (they are just so easy!)

My thought is this, he is happy/content sleeping in his crate at night and whines to go in it at bedtime. Also I want him to be comfortable sleeping in it as I plan on taking a job that requires me to travel every few months and I will be taking him with me (lab with stay with DH) so he will need to be able to be in his crate and be a good boy on the plane.

So there seems to be two schools of thought on the crate debate, but for my little guy it seems to be his little house and he WANTS to sleep in there..So why would it be wrong/bad to continue given the cicumstances? I just don't think training dogs is a cookie cutter thing, they are all different wth different personalities. What one dog finds anxiety provoking another finds comforting.

Comments (17)