SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
otmsheffield

water util./pipe hammering?

otmsheffield
17 years ago

After we bought our new home last winter, we learned there were some pretty loud hammering noises that the builder's plumber attempted to silence with strapping in several locations plus a hammer arrester on the washing machine fill pipes.

This morning, I heard very loud hammering as the washing machine went through its cycles as well as when other fixtures were used. (The initial WM noise literally shook the house.) I happened to notice two water utility trucks & men working at an empty lot across the street. The water co.'s CSR says they were repairing a broken main and that any air in the pipes should be gone within 24 to 36 hours. If the pipe hammering persists beyond 36 hrs., they will send someone to "flush the lines." Since what I know about plumbing could barely fill a thimble, I'd like to ask if this sounds reasonable to you experts? Might the violent hammering do any damage? Also, the CSR offered to credit our account if our bill seems abnormally high next cycle, but she couldn't explain what would cause our usage to increase. Any thoughts on that? Thank you.

Comments (2)