SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spider96

My creamy yellow cabinets...

spider96
13 years ago

aren't quite so creamy, and my barn red island isn't quite so... barny.

Both the yellow and red are both much brighter than I wanted them to be. I am kicking myself because I talked about taking the yellow down 25 or 50%, but I was talked out of it. But ultimately, the end color was my decision.

I guess my hope is that installing the hardware, glass fronts, and uncovering the soapstone and island top (which is covered in brown paper) will somehow make it all look better. Please, someone tell me that is going to make a difference. I am really kicking myself right now.

Comments (95)

• mountaineergirl
    13 years ago

I think its a beautiful shade of yellow! Yellow is a hard color to get right (like pink) but you nailed it! Your kitchen is going to be so pretty and warm. I can't wait to see your pics after everything is completed!

• 2golftoday
    13 years ago

I think your cabinets and island colors are gorgeous! It's going to look fabulous when finished. Please don't worry any longer and post more pics :)

• Related Discussions

Do dark counter tops make a room dark?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have polished ubatuba counters and island, and cherry cabs, in a kitchen that gets no direct light at all. Yes, the dark counters, even though polished, really suck the light out. I'm sorry... and this is just a matter of taste, but the reflected light on the polished surface, to me, doesn't help, because it's very cold light. (Although it's probably worse with black like I have.) It sounds from the other colors you have picked that you like more warmth. If you love this counter you have picked and want to keep it, then maybe you could just pick something light for the island. In my kitchen that would make a big difference (and one of the things we're planning to do in an upcoming remodel). HTH
    ...See More

More neutral: light green or creamy yellow?

Q

Comments (3)
    I worry that yellow will make your beige carpet look dingy, unless it is more of a straw/wicker color with some yellow in it? Have you considered going in another direction and choosing a rosy-peachy tone? There are very sophisticated ones that don't look too girly. We used Donald Kaufman #14 in our kitchen, and it shifted through the day from cooler in the morning to warm at night in incandescent light . I wish the colors in this photo were truer...the cabinets and trim were more ivory in tone, and the walls never looked quite this pink, but it might give you the idea. (My husband, by the by, had no problem with the pinkness, and if it had looked too pink, he'd have vetoed it.) Something like this could look wonderful with turquoise and cobalt.
    ...See More

'Neutral' Yellow, creamy not icy, Dunn Edwards-does this exist?

Q

Comments (22)
    Be sure to test a fairly large sample on various walls. The yellow colors change during the day depending on the natural light, and then again with any artificial light. We painted our kitchen/family room 3 times before we got something that worked. I had painted sample patches on one wall, but the exposure varied on the others and those first 2 colors just didn't work. I appreciate everyone's input on this as it's time to re-paint and I want something just a little different this time.
    ...See More

Looking for the most perfect light creamy yellow paint?

Q

Comments (11)
    Here's a thread where I posted a picture of our kitchen done in BM Pernod. Recently we had hardwoods floors installed and I gave it a fresh coat of Pernod before the installation. It's an easy, mellow yellow! http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0123510114150.html
    ...See More
  • johnnyl53
    13 years ago

I would have run that backsplash on the left up to the upper cabs and beyond by at least one row.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks cats and mountaineergirl!

Johnny, I'm sure you are right- that is not something I even thought about before the builder just did it. I'll add that to my "shoulda, coulda, woulda" list....it's going to be a long one.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Spider - those cabs are gorgeous! What an elegant, warm, and happy place that kitchen is going to be. I understand being overwhelmed, but I am betting you will love it once it is all done and those stunning countertops are uncovered. Hang in there.

Plus - isn't it nice that it does not look like every other kitchen out there?? (I can say this, I have one of those ubiquitous white kitchens :-)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

LOVE the colors! The yellow is fabulous and the red looks wonderful! I really like the backsplash too...very pretty :)

Don't worry about the color and....LOL! Great response to the wallpaper suggestion. For accents, I would bring in green and maybe black, depending on what look you're going for. The green can be some plants and maybe a printed fabric (if you use one) with yellow and black and just a bit of red...especially if you like french country.

Can we see more pictures?

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Are those Ben Moore colors? I can check my wands if they are, and you give me the numbers.

Neither color is remotely garish from your photos. It is very possible that everything will look perfect when fully revealed. Worst case, the red may be a tiny fraction off, though again, nothing to clutch one's pearls over. If it's that close and you want to fix it, it should be an easy job.

In my experience, neutral colors often go on in a pleasing way right from the start, while more interesting colors take some getting used to. That's because most people who are not artists or professional designers have a very difficult time holding onto a toned color in their brains, so reality never matches up with what they have misremembered.

in any case, I think you should relax, or if you can't relax, just fall back on the old renovator's remedy: a couple of Mommy's Little Helpers and gin.

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Spider, it's lovely. I wish I had been as brave as you. I drool over the yellow and red cabs on the Crown Point website, but I couldn't afford the soapstone, so it didn't go with my granite. I think you will be glad you did, just hold on a little longer. My husband was just looking over my shoulder and saw your pic. He said, "mmm, pretty." That says a lot. Fingers crossed he says the same when ours is all said and done!

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laura, thank you!

Lavender, thank you and I like your color idea. I think I'll wait on posting more pictures though ...but I'll post more soon! We move in next week! :)

Marcolo, the yellow is ben moore hawthorne yellow. The red is an old Duron color called roasted pepper. I really wanted to find a Ben Moore red, but I didn't like any of them. They really need to come out with the perfect "barn red" color. Everything was too light or too rusty. I considered choosing Country Redwood, but decided it had too much brown. (now I'm thinking it might have been perfect with my 50% Hawthorne yellow....ugh). Yes, I could use a couple of mommy's little helpers right about now!

Yellowdog, I'm not sure if brave is the right word...but thanks, and thanks to your husband also. That was NOT my husband's reaction to the picture! LOL! (he hasn't actually been there in person yet, so he only sees pictures)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

There is no conceivable way Hawthorne Yellow will turn out to be too garish--not possible. It's actually a gold color, part of their historic colors, and is really a classic restrained yellow. You definitely made a sound choice there.

Live with the red and see how it looks. It can always be toned down simply by adding black or gray--a good paint store should know how. But it could be perfect as is.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

The easiest and best way to be happy with your red is to buy several of the BM sm paint samples and experiment mixing and blending some of the colors. Stare at the ones you made that you like in different light for a while. Wait until everything is in place in the kitchen before you decide if you really want the change. If you feel a change is needed BM will make the color exactly as you mixed it. All is well! It's very common to mix your own reds because red it tricky. Not that yellows are that easy either, but reds are the worse I think. I just went through this with my "he said she said neighbors", he wanted bright apple red; she wanted a muted rusty red. They had gone for years arguing over what shade to paint the front door and neither would give in. So, I had them bring out all the paint samples and I mixed until they both agreed on a shade. I did the same for their living room (not red). It's really very satisfying mixing your very own personal shade and it will be even more gratifying when your beautiful kitchen is done and you have really put your personal creative stamp on it.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's interesting about making your own red- I didn't really know that was something people did. You know, I would have done a lot more experimenting on site with the colors if I had been closer. Living 2 1/2 hours away from the build and having 2 preschoolers has made it very difficult. I wish I could have been in there painting things red and looking at them in different light, but I basically just painted sample boards and took them on my visit.
    Oh well, you live and learn. One thing I hope to never do again is a long distance build!

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Have you ever thought about going to Lowe's and buying Barn Red & having it matched in an enamel? Why reinvent the wheel if that's what you really want.

In the meanwhile, I absolutely love your cabinets and your color choices. Fabulous. I love your taste.

C.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much. I needed an extra boost today- my parents stopped by the house and told me the yellow was too bright, and why haven't they finished the floors yet (they have). They are antique floors, so very rustic, and my dad said they look "really bad". Ugh.

Anyway, what do you mean buying Barn Red...barn red what? Paint? A certain brand? I tried once matching a piece of shelving that was the perfect color red- I took it to Benjamin moore and asked them to color match it. They tried but didn't succeed- they said matching a red was very very difficult.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

spider, I'm sure that was just a very ill-considered April Fool's joke on the part of your parents. And if it wasn't, it should have been : )

Becky, who is also planning on rustic wood floors

• babs711
    13 years ago

I've been out of town and just caught this thread. I love your cabinet color! After I saw the first one, my first thought was that I couldn't wait to see the rest of the kitchen in full!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Well, count me in with the chorus of supporters! I checked into this thread when you first posted. But, without pictures, I felt there was little to say at that time. Today is the first time I've been back since you started and, in the interim, I see you have posted some photos. I love what I'm seeing! Don't know what you're seeing in IRL, but, truly, your color choices looks great on my monitor! Hang in there and it will work out beautifully, I'm sure.

This from a TKO whose kitchen's primary colors are soft yellow, wine red, dove white and black (soapstone).

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Hun, red is tough to match, but BM isn't the all end in matching. If it's something you love, try everyone from the big box stores to the independents. Someone made that red girlie!

If you really want actual barn red red, you can buy 5 gallon buckets of laytex acrylic exterior barn red paint at Lowe's.
    Check out this thread: Barn Paint. Hopefully it'll make you laugh when you might need it now. Anyway, I'm sure it has a brand name, but all I know is it's in buckets. Buckets and buckets of it.

Taste is not genetic. Luckily for you, it doesn't sound like you got it from your parents. Perhaps an aunt deemed "different?" I happen to think "different" usually means "interesting."

I'm wondering if you could use the red and clear coat it somehow.

If I could buy a kitchen I would do everything I've seen from your pictures. Right down to emailing you and getting your manufacturer, your colors, your materials, and if you were close enough, your workmen. This thread prompted a few of my own on color and cabinets.

It sounds like your parents are jealous? Have they been this way all your life? Not to go psychological on you, but this just sounds like they felt the need to slap you down. My first husband's parents would do that to him in ugly ways (like this). I asked them once why they did xxx in a situation & their answer is they didn't want him to be disappointed. Huh? How mean of them to be hurtful. I wonder if they came away feeling better.

Your kitchen is looking fabulous. I'm disgusted for you. Really rather p.o.ed. I hope you go sit on your kitchen floor, rub your fingertips on it, admire your beautiful work, and remember how much pleasure your kitchen brings you every time you find the perfect item. And please. For someone struggling to make her own? Send lots and lots of pictures from every stage. It gives me hope. :)

C.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is lovely and anyone who makes petty comments is a petty person.
    My dh's uncle came by and said he hated our reno. Was not his style decor and did not like the new open layout.
    He is renting and has never owned despite being 10 years or so older than us and works for a contractor and sounded ticked we did not go with them. We did not want to involve family after a horrendous experience with dh's cousin (same side of family) who led us astray, came in at $120k over budget after recommending and being there with the architect at every meeting. It cost us thousands for a plan we had to pay to change and we wasted a small fortune getting c.o.s for a plan we could never afford. When we finally were ready to try again, there was no way we'd involve family again.
    I was still stunned to hear him tell dh that he "hated" everything. I thought dh was joking when he told me. I am a real estate agent, and no matter how awful the house, you do not insult the homeowner. I'd think a normal human would not walk into someone's house, after knowing they spent a tidy sum and have been living in a bsmt for months and say they hate the result. He did not say the workmanship was not good except he pointed out 1 tile in our bathroom floor that was not cut well on one side, so now I notice it, thanks to him (grrrr). I think so much less of him now and do not know what I can possibly say the next time I see him. It sure pisses me off that we were generous at his 4th wedding last year!

• CheriPatrice
    13 years ago

Love it. The house I sold in November had the red and yellow theme. There's some pretty mustard and red toile fabric I used to pull things together. Made me so happy.

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Okay, Spider96, I tend to be a reticent poster because I don't feel like I have a lot to add, but I am stunned that anyone would insult your kitchen. I've already saved the precious couple of photos you've posted because they are beautiful! I'm planning yellow inset cabinets and dearly hope they turn out half as lovely as yours. It's going to be a warm, happy room and I bet that's because it is a reflection of you. Don't let anyone spoil it for you.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Becky, Babs, and Cheri-- thank you!

Dianalo- That's a terrible story. I also hate it when someone points out an "error" to me that I wouldn't have noticed otherwise. I'm sure there are lots of things like that in our house....ignorance is bliss, sometimes!

Nutherokie- that is such a compliment that you have saved my pictures. Please learn from me and pick a yellow that doesn't look like it will be quite bright enough. I feel like hawthorne yellow at 50-75% would have been perfect.

Martha, your colors sound like what I was imagining in my head for mine- do you have a picture? (I'm sure you've probably posted them already, but I'm not really a "regular" around here.

cfmuehling- now how did I go through this, complaining over and over that I can't find the right "barn" red, and no one mentioned to me about barn paint!? Thanks for the info- I'll have to check it out. As for my parents, they really do have my best interest at heart. I know it sounds like they could be jealous or trying to be critical, but they really are just concerned. I mean, the floor really is VERY rustic- I can totally understand why they said what they did. I didn't post about it, but I'm even having some trouble getting adjusted to it and definitely questioning my choice.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

4th wedding, Dianalo?

I don't think it's your house. I think it is the insulter who has a problem, no the insultee.

Mrs. DH's Uncle No.s 1,2 and 3 agree.

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Good morning!

Spidey, there's always a sander and stain, just like there's always another color of paint. [LOL]
    I'd love to find old barn wood and do my floors in certain places with it. Not even planed!

I lay in bed last night thinking about my master bedroom. I have 16' 10" of wall where I'm building a tansu out of cabinets I'm either building or picking up from everywhere, even the side of the road. (That's where I got my kitchen lazy susan.) I had an ephifany.

When we moved in in 2002, before our house fire, I wanted to make the base color the MBR a dulled, mustardy yellow-gold. I have towels and sheets the perfect color. I have delicious chocolate, wide plank floors.

The MB BR, though, will be espresso shaker vanities & chrome, brushed & shiney, fixtures. We bought them with one of the 1st insurance payments so I already own them. They're beautiful, but once again, I'd do it differently.

I'm thinking the MBR cabinets, the majority of which are a cottage style I don't care for, will now be the perfect yellow with perhaps pewter fixtures. Maybe even iron, since I have a fantastic pendant already in there that I love and goes with nothing -- yet.

But what a dope I've been! I know exactly what I want to do color-wise in there. I am addicted to red and will have red in my house. Now, probably with my own barn red and mustardy towels & sheets! HAAA!!!!

My back porch, which I'm rebuilding, is going to have barn walls. I had my barn rebuild last year and it's going to be the same red underneath there.

I guess I'm excited. Wish I could do it all at once, but. But. Big BUTT! OH well.

Now I just have to figure out how to make the drawer cabinets inset. Gotta work with those drawer glides. My wheels are turning.

Hang in there. If you doubt your stuff, that's one thing. For others to be so rude & petty? It's just rude & petty. No matter whose interests they should have at heart!

More pictures!!!!!!!!!!!
    C.

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

A little late - but if pictures are accurate, I'll be happy to take your kitchen off your hands! It's beautiful! And hawthorne yellow just happens to be in my pile of swatches I just picked up from BM. It's so pretty, my sister stole it from me last night to try in her kitchen. Also, I get This Old House mag. and it seems like every month there's a beautiful kitchen featured (usually on the cover) of a kitchen with painted cabs like yours. So I think you're doing something right!

About the parents - When I bought a Lexington bedroom suit a few years ago, in a distressed mahogany (i.e. already had dings in it), my mom thought it must be seconds, because it was "messed up". I guess no one wanted something "distressed" 50 years ago. :)

• katsmah
    13 years ago

spider, your cabinet colors look lovely on my monitor. I wonder if your parents comments were because they were out of their comfort zone with painted cabinets and the floor. I really do hope that is the case.

Kitchens are the hardest room in the house to do and I had so much doubt about every choice I made. I can't imagine being so unkind to someone to smack down the choices they made during a stressful remodel. I'm sure it will look wonderful when it is done.

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

Hey.
    After all this talk and all the paint colors flying by on this, the decorating and the paint forum, I just went to SW & got a chip booky-thing. I already had BM

Yes. That's it. I'm going to use Hawthorne on my MBR cabinets and real, barn red paint in there, too.

SOLD!
    Christine

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cfmuehling, that is so great! I'm so glad something good could come out of all of this color craziness. And wow, you have quite a project going on. Sounds pretty amazing.

Lakegirl, I'm a lakegirl at heart, too. Thanks, and that's funny about your parents.

Kastmah, thank you! I really don't think they were being unkind, just honest and trying to help. I know them well- it's ok. I have pretty thick skin.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Spider - wow - lots of action on your post! I hope you are beginning to feel better about your great choices (your parents notwithstanding :-). The additional photos confirm that the yellow is just *perfect*. I love the sound of your floors; we wanted to go with rustic wood but since we were replacing the floor from the front door through the kitchen, decided to go with tile instead. I still love that look, though, and sigh wherever I see wide plank rustic floors. And I also loved your response to the wallpaper comment :-).

Funny - Hawthorne Yellow was on our consideration list for the walls, but we went with a more neutral shade when we decided to go with light green for the cabs. I mentioned that our bedroom is "barn red" - it's actually Covered Bridge by BM, and really is a great colour. Although I really don't think you need to change your island.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, we are all dying to see the end result!

Eliz

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Spider,
    I am loving that combination. Be brave it is going to
    be fantastic!!!
    ~boxer

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

[ahem]

This is an awfully long thread for so few pictures.

Come on. I live vicariously. I live for your pictures. Toss me a bone...

PICTURES! FEED ME!!!

Christine

• angiedfw
    13 years ago

I love your yellow cabinets, too. I *think* maybe the red is bothering you because it's too "new" looking (just a thought!)??? Maybe you could do a wipe off stain over the red, so it ages the red just a bit, or another way of distressing the surface? I think it's going to be gorgeous, and am a bit jealous, btw... :) Congratulations!

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Hawthorne Yellow! Hey! MY kitchen is painted Ben Moore Hawthorne Yellow!

Here's a photo -- not such a great one, it's lightly overexposed and the sun intensifies the shade for the camera, but this shot shows a corner of YELLOW CABINETRY and the WALL and CEILING in our gorgeous yellow. Everyone absolutely loves the color, for what it's worth. (Alternately, if folks have just been kind to me and you find it hideous, this will give you good impetus to quietly go about repainting now ...)

By the by, Lutron's Goldstone colored electrical outlets and covers harmonize quite well with the paint -- you can just see one in the bottom right-hand shelf corner.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Eliz, coming from you that is just about the best compliment ever!! I'll post a floor pic just for you.
    Boxer, thank you (again)
    Angie, I think you are right. It's a little too new and shiny...I'm definitely keeping my options open as far as maybe putting a glaze or something on top. I've actually talked about that already with the builder, but I'm not going to do anything for at least a month after I move in.

Cfmeuhling, ok, ok I'll throw you a bone- just not a kitchen bone. I really want to wait until the hardware and glass fronts are on. However, I'll take pity on you and post a few things:

Floors...

My bathroom vanity...(husband has a mini version)

Mudroom (door knob will change, latches go up top)
    [

Powder room...if you look closely, you can my (gasp) kitchen desk. Toilet and sink are white...not sure why they look beige here.

Does that get me off the hook?

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Circuspeanut, I forgot to say I love that!!!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Spider - I love your mudroom and the green walls and think your bathroom paper is quite pretty and fun. I think your bathroom vanity is the same square footage of our entire master bath, lol.... and it is gorgeous! We can see a little glimpse of you in the glass front ;)
    Your house is vibrant and happy. Don't tone it down! After you unpack and decorate, it will be naturally toned down because you will have fewer open expanses. Your house shows personality and character, which is sadly lacking from most new builds around here.

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you dianalo! I noticed the reflection, too, but that is not me- it's the realtor's wife ( sometimes they take pics for me since I'm not there)

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

I am late chiming in too, but I have to say that I think the red and yellow look great!

My powder room is painted a barn red color. We were afraid to go that dark at first, but we really like it.

Paint will naturally tone down after a while. When we first painted the powder room, I was like "wow!", then after a few weeks it wasn't as bright. The same will happen with your cabinets and island. Diannalo is right - once EVERYTHING is in there - not just the kitchen but all your furniture, it will not look so blaring (and I don't think it's blaring at all, but that's the impression I get from your posts).

While I really like neutrals, it's refreshing to see someone not afraid of color! I admit, I am one of those afraid of color. I also love your powder room. I think you will have one gorgeous house once everything is done!

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

OMG. I LOOOOVE those floors. Your whole house is gorgeous but, really, those floors are swoon worthy.

Fabulous!
    Eliz

• cfmuehling
    13 years ago

"Ohhhhhhhhhhooooohhhh," she moaned, "Inset Cabinets everywhere! Rustic, beautiful floors. OhhHHooooHH"

I love your floor. I was looking at some barnwood at Community Forklift & considering making a horizontal wall of it. Then someone bought it right from under my nose.

I love it all. So fun. Great "bone!"

Christine

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Chocolatebunny- thanks, and I hope you are right!

Eliz, Thanks- I am so nervous about the floors!! I hope it's the right thing. I'm telling myself I can always go back and have them sanded down more (although it would be a huge pain to do after we are moved in)
    Oh, and I forgot to post earlier that I'm trying to find the red you are talking about- I immediately ran to my color wheels to look, but I can't find it. I have 3 BM color wheels- is it on one of those?

Christine, thanks! Too bad about your wood, but I bet you can find it again. There are some suppliers around where we are that aways have it coming in, or they travel to get it.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

spider, the pictures, and the rooms, are gorgeous. I think when you said about your parents that they're just out of their comfort zone, it might apply too to what you were expecting for the kitchen. But it won't take long for all of you to get comfortable and appreciate how beautiful your new house is.

By the way, what is the name of your powder room wallpaper? It's lovely!

Keep that camera handy for the rest of us!

Becky

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Ahem. That thud you heard was the sound of me falling off my rocker and onto my not-so-special hardwood floor at the sight of your to-die-for hardwood floor! Girl, that floor is fantastic! Maybe dear old dad was just having a hard day when he saw your floor? Whatever. The truth is -- that floor is splendid. Especially with your creamy yellow cabs and barn red island :-), and whatever else you have planned your kitchen, I'm sure it will be spectacular when all is said and done! BTW, the rest of your house is looking pretty special as well! I declare, it's going to be so much fun following your progress and reveal. Woo hoo!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

hi spider!

wow, your house is fab... your mudroom looks bigger than my kitchen! i love your floors. some people just don't get it, but you are smart not to take that personally. people that do get it... it's why you come here, right?! ;)

i love, love, love circuspeanut's kitchen. so knowing that yellow is your yellow is even better! i have the paint card right here on my desk. marcolo is right, you cannot get too garish with hawthorne yellow. it's a VERY pretty yellow.

just went to dig up my "creamy butter" sample that jterrilynn has. now i adore her cabinets, and i think yours are a little lighter than hers... so in other words no worries about it being too bright. i personally feel like a wimp now with my "ivory" cabs (who am i kidding, they're white)!

it makes me super happy to see more of your kitchen. hope you're feeling happier about your choices, too. it WILL come together. :)

• yellowdog2
    13 years ago

Oh Spider, your house is amazing. Trust yourself. Your choices are incredible, don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. We are going to put those floors in our bonus room when we can afford to do that part. I love them they are so warm and homey. I love all the colors you have chosen for your house.

A few questions... what color green did you choose and what color is on your mudroom doors? I love your wallpaper!

Plus, I also agree that BM is lacking in a barn red. A couple of reds that I like from the chips are Boston Brick and (I think one called) Georgia Brick. I am going to try them on our feather board wainscot on the walls that are open to the kitchen. You just might hear from me for support!

You've done a beautiful job!!

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone! This makes me want to post pictures more often! It's so nice to show pictures to people who are truly interested. I actually haven't shown the pictures to anyone other than family in "real life", so I haven't really had much feedback. (although I think some of my friends will give me the side eye when they see the floor and kitchen)

The wallpaper is Thibaut, Morristown I think. The trim color and cabinet color in the mudroom is BM simply white, and the green wall color in the mudroom is BM sweet daphne. I went back and forth a million times on that green, and finally made a last minute decision the day they were painting. I was *this* close to painting the cabinets in there green, but now I'm so glad I didn't.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Well, Spider, I don't think I can "talk" to you anymore. You totally stole my mudroom that I might someday have- possibly-perhaps-maybe-whenpigsfly. Right outta my head! How did you do that?

YES, I AM BURNING WITH ENVY! I am turning away from your pictorial now, as I can feel my face melting.

(I am totally kidding about not "talking" to you--I have a strange sense of humor, I know. ;^) )

Thou shall not covet. Thall shall not covet. Thou shall not covet.

• CEFreeman
    13 years ago

Spidey,

Please tell me a little more about your floor? Is it a commercial wood, or did you actually use barnwood?

I was thinking tile on the porch I'm doing barn red. But with that gorgeous floor, I'm having second thoughts. I really love that floor, girlie.

Coveting openly,
    Christine
    Formerly C F Muehling

• spider96
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shelayne, I am just seeing your comment- you are too funny! I am sorry I stole the vision from your head. It actually wasn't even my vision until the last minute, so you are a better visualizer than I am!

Christine, the floor is old barn wood, pulled from a local barn. It's over 100 years old. They didn't sand it down much, but you can make it less rustic if you want to. It was actually kind of scary until they put the last finishing coat on it, and now I really love it.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

Spider, do you have finished pics? I'm doing yellow and would love to see : )