SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibs_gw

Cast Iron Main Vent Stack

thibs
17 years ago

I am replacing galvanized steel waste and vent pipes with pvc (at least I'm tring to). I've opened the wall that houses all the pipes in my bathroom. When I cut the vent pipes open they were nearly completely clogged with a very hard to penetrate substance - I guess this explains the my slow/non running drains. When attempting to unscrew the vent pipe that goes directly into the cast iron main vent stack, it broke off leaving a significant amount of rusty build up on the inside threads (of the main vent stack). My question is, since the wall is now open, should I replace the entire main vent stack with PVS/ABS or just cut in a new tap? From reading numerous posts on this site I realize changing the entire stack is a huge project but since all other vent pipes in this bathroom were nearly closed shut with build up, I'm assuming the main vent stack might also be. However, there is no apparant damage to the stack. I'd hate to leave it as is, close the wall then realize that it too is clogged.

Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (3)