SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
friggy_1

New Master Bath venting help w/ pictures

Friggy
13 years ago

Hello all,

I am finishing our master bath in our 3 year old house. I have the layout finalized and need some additional info on venting. I have done a lot of research on this and other forums, bought the Code Check and Black and Decker plumbing books. It seems the more research I do, the more confused I get. I understand most of what is going on, but want to make sure it is done properly. I have met with the Code Enforcement Officer from my town and plan on having him inspect the final job. I am bound by the UPC code and found some errors that he passed on the original inspection of the plumbing a licensed plumber did. He allowed a 3" vent horizontally to vent the shower/tub and toilet in the basement which I thought was a no-no. I just want to make sure I do this properly.

OK so here is a picture of my layout:

{{!gwi}}

I am planning on using a double fixture fitting for the sinks and adding a 2" vent to the attic. In the pic you can see a 2" future vent they left me which stubs from the basement to the attic vertically @ 10' and then horizontally roughly 9" then stubs up to a 3" through the roof. The tub can either drain left or right, the shower drain is fixed as drawn. The toilet can be either on the MB wall or the bedroom2 wall. We would prefer the Bedroom2 wall.

My questions are do I need a separate vent to the tub? If I right drain the tub I can tie into the drain from the vanities right? Can the vent from the vanities handle the tub or would I add a new vent and tie into the vent from the vanities above the 6" flood line?

For the shower, should I put a new vent in the shower wall that would serve the Shower an Toilet? Also when my vents meet in the attic, do I need to up-size the pipes? Can any portions of the tub or shower act as wet vents to limit the amount of venting?

I would like to keep my main drain in the center of the basement if possible so I can limit bends and build a soffit around them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

Comments (9)