SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimipiere

Water softener (last few details to choose)

jimipiere
10 years ago

Hello, first time posting, this seems like a great forum, so I signed up. hope someone can help me with this and hope I can offer guidance at some point for others.

Ive requested a water analysis through freedom of info from my municipality, have not received it yet. I know my water is 12 grains hard(had that tested) I dont anticipate iron in my water since im on municipal water (near montreal Canada)

I want to install a softener.

Ive ruled out the big guys (culligan et al) too pricey.

I was looking at fleck, autotroll, clack. ill do the install myself.

I found a guy who sells clack nearby so i will go with that. (originally wanted Fleck, but supplier around here wants 1950 not installed!)

we are a family of 3 with maybe 4 soonish.

1 bath eventually 2.
carefull with our water

loooking at

clack 30 000 grain tank (guy wants to sell me 45 000 but i feel it wont regenerate often enough)

big blue filter

my questions are

is 30 000 better than 45 000 for me as i feel it is, or is bigger always better

should i install two big blue filters in parrallel with pressure valves before and after to see when to change the filters(as ive read on another thread) or use different filter types, or just one big blue filter, no pressure valves (looking for ideas here)

should i insist on 10% cross over resin (this seller doesnt know what that is) this likely handles better over time from what ive read. he is offering aldex sst 60 resin, thats all he knows. 150bucks more for fine mesh, but not further details.

does anyone have a strong opinion agains using clack valves as opposed to fleck or autotroll. im still on fence but happy with clack

next should i bypass the kitchen faucet due to the changing minieral composition of the water (most european sites recommend this) for various reasons -more sodium in water, less trace minerals -cases of potasium chloride filters being used and a few more ive forgotten that were equally valid

the drain
im on a sceptic system, but i also have a floor drain in my basement, from a rough in for a bathroom, it drains into the soil im told under the foundation, im on sand, and have no sump pump. should i drain it to the floor, or pump it to my tank? ive only been living here this winter, so i dont know all the details yet.

lastly

what im looking for is an effeicient system, with uncomplicated worthwhile installation and maintenance. that will last a long time and makes sense, and not overly complicated, just logical and efficient.

what should i change or add? thinking of putting it in this week depending on feedback.

much appreciated to those who take the time to share their knowledge.

j.

Comments (3)