SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

Found in the Attic

Cherryfizz
16 years ago

I was upstairs in the attic this afternoon (top story of my house) trying to organize it a bit so I can bring things upstairs from the spare bedroom and also looking for one of my scrapbooks to take with me when I go out for coffee with my friend Dave. I have lots of scrapbooks of newspaper articles I put together starting when I was 12 until I was in my 20's. Most of the stuff in them are current event stuff from that time, lots of music articles about bands - some local. Lots of play lists from radio stations in them too. Dave loves to look at the music/band articles. I even have a scrapbook from the Apollo missions.

I started out good - restacking all my Christmas decoration boxes against the wall and rearranging my vintage Pyrex collection so that it stacks neater in the drawers, ontop of the dressers and in the metal cupboards. I've got tons of the stuff and use very little of it.

I cleared off the attic stairs - a feat in itself and put away my empty Christmas cookie tins.

Then I made the mistake of opening up one of my trunks I haven't opened in years. I went through boxes of my Barbie doll stuff and then I started to search for my Twiggy doll's dress which I couldn't find. I was thinking I might sell the Twiggy doll on Ebay but I don't have the dress. It probably got left at a childhood friend's house one time when we played Barbies.

I found an 8 track player - bright red with speakers that come apart still in the original box. My Dad gave it to me as a birthday gift and I never used it. I found a pciture of my cousin, my friend Vicki and I done at the CN Tower in Toronto when it first opened. The picture is made up of a computer language and the detail in the picture is amazing.

I found an old chocolate box that I wrote on that says "My Special Box" Stuff in it from when I had my Sweet 16 birthday party and some other neat stuff written by my friends when I turned 18. All my diaries from when I was a teenager were in the trunk too. In the trunk was a big white stuffed teddy bear that my Grandpa gave to me. Not so white anymore and I didn't even play with it. I put it in the garbage - don't know why I was saving it.

I started out with a bigger mess than when I first went upstairs to tidy up.

I also came across a bag and it contained bundles of letters so I brought it downstairs and have been reading through them for hours. I forgot to eat dinner!

The letters dated back to 1980/81 when I was living in Calgary. Reading these letters made me laugh and made me shed a few tears. My Mom wrote to me a lot. In one of the letters she hoped that I wouldn't change while living away from my family. She hoped I would keep my same moral standards and how important it was that I come home in the same condition I moved away with. I read that to mean - don't come home pregnant! LOLOL

My Mom really missed me even though she had left the family home in 1975. I moved away because I was tired of having to take care of my Dad and younger brother for all those years. I kind of felt sad reading those letters but happy that I still had them.

In the pile of letters were letters from close friends who have since passed away - one who died horribly from AIDS. Letters from Aunts and Grandma who are now gone.

Love letters from the beau I left behind. Ken used to send me Labatt Blue labels that he peeled from his bottle of beer whenever he went to the tavern we used to go to. He missed me. LOL I wonder if how things would have progressed had I stayed in Windsor. I don't know if I would have married him or not. He said he had never written letters to anyone before and was never sure what to say except how much he missed me and wanted me to come home but understood why I was out there. I remember embroidering him pillow cases and sending them to him. LOL

I am glad I found these letters again. I still have another trunk I haven't looked into in a long time but I think I will wait a bit. I have to clean up the mess I made up in the attic first and put away the stuff I took out.

Have you come across things like letters that you had forgotten about or things you put away and forgot that were special to you at the time?

Anne

Comments (11)