SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcward89

Questions befre Corian templater comes...

dcward89
10 years ago

We have a couple weeks before templating but I want to be sure I have my ducks in a row before they come. I have a few questions and I'm hoping all the knowledgable folks here can give me some guidance...especially resident solid surface expert, Trebuchet!!

1. Inside corner radius...our kitchen is sort of an open p shape...one long wall, walk way, and then a u...I hope that makes sense. We will have 2 inside corners in the u shaped area. I have read that inside corners, if not done to the right radius, can be a common site for stress cracks. What is the appropriate radius for inside corners.

2. Around the sink...I have seen some Corian installations with undermount sinks that seem to have a thin layer of Corian at the edge over the sink and then I have seen some, like deedles recent installation, that have a built up, thicker edge at the sink. I like the thicker look to the edge and I want to know what this is called...how do I ask for that? And/or are there pros/cons to having it built up around the sink or is it purely an aesthetic decision?

3. Edge profile...we picked just the simple round over edge profile. Is there any reason I should choose a different edge profile? Any particular profile that is more prone to chipping? Should it be the same profile around the sink as every where else. It will be a stainless, undermount sink, if that matters.

4. Cove backsplash...we are choosing to use a 2" backsplash instead of the standard 4". Any reason, aside from it being costly, that we should not choose the coved backsplash with 2" vs 4". I would really like to do the cove for cleaning reasons if it stays within budget.

5. We will have a raised bar area, it's about 60 inches long and it will have a 12 inch overhang. Will that require additional support for the overhang and if so, what is the best way to support it?

I hope these questions don't sound silly. I've never had anything except laminate countertops and, although I've done a lot of research about Corian, I still feel a little unsure about some of the installation details. I so appreciate all the help!!!

Comment (1)