SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jb1176_gw

garbage disposal installation

jb1176
16 years ago

This may be a dumb question, but not being knowledgeable about plumbing I need some advice.

We have standard height kitchen sink basin cabinet which has a double basin 8 " deep cast iron drop in sink on a standard formica countertop. One basin has a garbage disposal and the drain for that disposal as it enters the cabinet wall is about 11" on center from the floor of the sink basin cabinet.

The formica countertop is being replaced with 3 cm granite (1 1/4" thick). A 9 1/2" to 10" deep single basin undermount sink is contemplated. Thus the sink bottom is going to be lowered 2" PLUS the 1 1/4" thickness of the granite itself because of the undermount situation, making a total drop of about 3 1/4".

Will a standard garbage disposal be able to be installed in this situation or will the sink basin cabinet back have to be cut out, dry wall opened, and the drain pipe be lowered in order for this change to take place and function correctly?

I don't intend to do the work myself and will hire a plumber for the job, but I would like to know the answer to this question before I buy the sink and hire the plumber. Granite people want the sink at the time of templating but I hate to purchase a sink that will cause increased plumbing reconstruction. Any advice?

Thanks,

JB1176

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living