SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponce418

Desperate for Advice-Anal Glands

ponce418
16 years ago

Our 9 yr old lab/greyhound female has always had some minor issues w/ her anal glands. However, we've never been concerned nor the vet because our dog has always been able to express them herself by licking whenever the need arises.

Lately though, we noticed her licking alot more than usual. We figured that maybe they had gotten clogged & made an appt w/ the vet to have them express the glands for her. Of course, our vet is out on maternity leave so we had to see an alternate.

Now, my sister-in-law works at this vet's office & told us that the vet we'd be seeing is good, but rather "intense." And she's been out of vet school 5 yrs. Well, she wasn't kidding about the intense part.

Our dog is 4 lbs heavier than she was at her last appt. But in the heat of the summer, she's not as active (too hot) & we haven't been exercising her much. So it doesn't surprise me. But the vet brought up the possibility of a thyroid issue & recommended we have it checked out.

Umm..ok. Will do but let's deal w/ the problem at hand...the anal glands.

So the vet starts to palpate our dog's anal glands. Something we've never had to have the vet do b4, mind you. Afterwards, there was some blood & that seemed to concern the vet a great deal. She told us that one gland was definitely full & she had emptied it. But the other one felt "thickened." Therefore, antibiotics for a week. If it doesn't clear up, we'll have to do surgery because it could be a tumor.

How we went from impacted anal gland to tumor in a matter of minutes I still don't know. I've looked up anal gland carcinoma on the web & our dog isn't exhibiting ANY of the symptoms. I also found that an elevated blood calcium level is indicative of carcinoma, but at no time did the vet ever take blood work.

Lastly, I read that flushing the gland and DIRECTLY administering antibiotics is usually the next step if oral antibiotics fail. But the vet never brought that up. She clearly stated that if the oral antibiotics don't work in a week, they'll do bloodwork to access our dog for anesthesia.

I don't want to prevent immediate treatment if cancer does wind up being the issue. But a part of me can't help but think we're jumping the gun here. And maybe...just maybe...we should be considering a 2nd opinion rather immediately.

But I don't know. And my husband, ever the faithful optimist, thinks we should just leave it up to this vet to guide the way.

Has anyone been through something like this? Any insights or advice you could share?

Comments (12)