SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbaird_gw

If she were your cat...CRF question

bbaird
13 years ago

Sorry if this is long...

As I've posted before, my cat has CRF and cancer.

11 months ago, 4 vets (including 1 very well respected oncologist) gave her only a couple of months.

She's pretty happy most of the time except when I give her fluids and meds each day.

She started out (11 months ago) with 50ml fluids very third day. Pretty soon she was up to 50ml every other day, then 75ml every other day, then 100ml every other day, the past 3 months -- 75ml every day.

This week, the vet asked me to give her 50ml twice a day. Because she hates getting fluids (even though she's very good about it), I asked if I could giver her 100ml once a day. He said okay.

So, here's my problem/question--what would you do if she were your cat?

That much fluid at once is very uncomfortable for her. I can see it. But, I hate to split it into 2 times a day because she dreads getting it.

Would you just keep it at the 75ml a day and let her live her days in relative comfort (even if that meant less days) or give her the higher amount (either in 1 or 2 doses per day) and cause her some discomfort?

She's been pretty quiet since we got back from the vet on Monday--not at all herself. I don't know if it's the fluids, the vet visit or the rabies shot (that I gave her because of the scary story someone else posted recently).

All my options stink.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!