SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orie_gw

How to intro. new kitten to older cat

orie
14 years ago

Hi everyone- My 14 yr. old DD and I have been volunteering at the SPCA and have fallen for a kitten. We would love to bring it home but we are concerned about our crabby 7 yr. old orange tabby. He's king of the house and does not warm up to anyone that doesn't live in the house. We know he'd have a fit if we brought the kitten home. The SPCA discourages adopting the kitten because it will disrupt the life of our older cat and we may end up returning the kitten (Which they frown upon). Anyone have any advice that may make it easier for our older cat to accept the kitten if we decide to go through with it? Does anyone discourage it also? Anyone have the same problem before? I would hate to upset our older cat to the point of his personality changing or have him start 'going' all over the house to mark his areas. I know it would be unfair as he was here first but is there an easier way to introduce them or to have him accept the kitty??? My DD is heartbroken that we can't seem to find a way. The kitty is adorable and has the personality she wanted in a cat (total lap cat) that we didn't get with our first one. We love our older, PIA cat and don't want to torture him with a new kitten driven him mad. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Comments (7)