SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fenston

blowing out copper water lines with air compressor

fenston
12 years ago

I've been struggling to make some plumbing solder joints due to water in the lines. I ended up using a Jet Swet to get some unions on but I ended up creating a leak upstream in the process of tightening them I think. The leak is very slow so have some time to work this out. Have the soldering process down when things are dry.

I have a really nice 26 gallon air compressor and realized people in colder areas completely drain the plumbing of water for the winter. Researched this and looks like I can take apart my pressure tester and stick a air compressor fitting on it then stick it on the hose bib where water enters my home.

If I just set the compressor for 50 PSI, open all the sinks in the house etc. I'm thinking I can get everything near bone dry in the lines and then be able to work anywhere in the home w/o having this water issue.

Have the Jet Swet but in tight areas which I now find myself in I just want dry pipes going in ... I understand draining the entire home may be overkill but I'm now at that point - next time I cut open pipe I want a much better probability of success.

My house is single story, on a slab in southern CA. The pipes I need to solder to are coming out of the slab in a wall about 2" above the slab. I bought some fire cloth so I don't burn the house down. Any tips appreciated.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville