SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

replacing old gas piping..yay or nay

scryn
17 years ago

We have a c1850 farmhouse and have gas heating and appliances.

we built a greenhouse and wanted a gas heater there so I was going to have gas lines put in for that.

Our gas lines in the basement are the black metal piping (steel??) and some are starting to look corroded on the outside. My husband thought we should look into replacing those.

I called and it is now code to use the plastic gas piping inside (I don't know the exact name of the piping). It is very reasonable to install it.

should we replace the piping we have in the basement with the newer plastic pipe? How does everyone feel about this new stuff? Our basement doesn't have standing water but it does have some moisture. We run a dehumidifier during the summer. I really like the fact of how they run the new piping and there are no joints, just one long stretch.

Our gas heater is one the opposite end of the house from the gas line coming in so we have a HUGE stretch of pipe leading from one end to the other end of our basement.

also our basement can get cold. It is not heated. Does this plastic get brittle? Is the only reason it is not used outside because people can dig into it and break it by mistake ?

-renee

Comments (4)