SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
genx_luddite

Decision: Whirlpool SS or "white ice" fridge?

GenX-Luddite
10 years ago

I have more or less decided on a Whirlpool counter-depth side-by-side refrigerator WRS965CIAH or -M. It's for a small kitchen, it will fit the available space well, and I think it's important to get a common American brand since I live in the middle of nowhere and if I ever need repairs, it's better to have a brand my repairman has seen before. I am having trouble deciding between "monochrome stainless steel" and "white ice," not least because, well, I live in the middle of nowhere and no store within 150 miles has "white ice" on display.

Here's the situation:
-it's a small u-shaped kitchen, with the fridge at one end of the "u", and one side of the fridge almost completely exposed. Enclosing it is not really an option. The side panel color is therefore important: it's a big part of the view from the breakfast area and the entrance to the kitchen.

-Cabinets, now oak, will be painted white (Benj. Moore "decorators white" to be precise); backsplash will be a sort of light taupe glass tile, countertop cambria waverton. It's a north-facing room that looks out at the woods, a pleasant view but very dark, so brightening things up is a priority.

-the range -- at the center of the "u" -- is GE stainless. The new DW, at the other end of the "u" (directly across from the fridge) has not yet been chosen, but I'll probably get one to match whatever fridge finish I end up with.

So I originally thought "SS" for the fridge, on account of the range; but I think the whirlpool SS has that dark gray on the side, and I'm not sure I want to look at that while I'm having breakfast. (Can anyone verify the side panel color for me?)

Then I though maybe the "white ice" would work, and I like the idea that it would be easier to keep clean. But I am worried about a clash with my cabinets, and also I have not been able to find any info about what the side panels look like. Are they the same as the glossy doors, or not?

Also, there's that issue of fridge and range in different finishes. Maybe not a big deal as long as fridge and DW "match"?

So I'm having a hard time deciding, mostly because I can't see the fridges in person before I buy one. I'd love your advice and also photos that show the sides of these refrigerators, if anyone has them....

Comments (7)