SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joann23456

Help with flooring and lightning choices

joann23456
16 years ago

It looks like my long-awaited remodel is going to happen soon, and I'm stumped on my choices for flooring and lighting. My house was built around 1918, and is in Massachusetts. Hardwood floors and fairly elaborate white painted millwork throughout. The kitchen will have white painted cabinets.

What I really want is hardwood flooring in the kitchen, but I'm afraid to do it because of two seriously incontinent cats. Don't ask, they're family. Fortunately, they confine themselves to the kitchen and adjacent bathroom.

So, what sort of flooring would work in a traditional New England home, and still stand up to kids and cat pee and poop (that could sit there for hours, if we happen to be asleep or away)?

I'm also wondering about lighting. I'm planning for under-cabinet lights, a pendant over the sink, and a chandelier over the island. Do I really need recessed lights, which I don't like in an old home?

If it helps, my kitchen is currently lit by two shop fixtures with two 40-watt flourescent bulbs now, and it's fine with me.

Thanks for the help!

.. Joann

Comments (2)