SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindasewandsew

Can you stand another bad smell question?

lindasewandsew
16 years ago

Hi, We live in a typical 1970s tract home with two fairly small bathrooms separated by a wall. Recently, a nasty smell started coming from the shower drain in the master bath. We tried plunging, pouring bleach, vinegar and ammonia, at different times of course, into the drain and letting each sit for several hours. The smell would go away, then be back in a few hours.. It was very strong sometimes and less strong others, but always there. Several years ago we installed a low flush toilet in the front bathroom, but it was only used occasionally, other than flushing the toto once in awhile and making sure the tub and sink had water in the trap. A couple of months ago, we started using it more often. That's about when the drain in the MB shower started to smell. The low water toilet didn't get used for about 5 days last week, due to unrelated reasons, and amazingly, the shower drain has had no stink at all for 2 full days. My current theory is that the low flush toilet doesn't use enough water to push the goods far in a drain that was built in the 70s, before low flush toilets were widely used, and maybe the stuff just sits in the drain till there's enough water. Not being a plumber, I'm assuming that the bathrooms share a common sewer pipe and maybe the old pipes don't drop fast enough for the small amount of water being flushed down. Didn't mean to write a bathroom book, lol. Is my theory possible, and if so, what can be done to make the plumbing and toilet work together? Thanks for any ideas. Linda

Comments (4)