SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quasifish

I'm having a lot of heartburn about kitty's bad teeth

quasifish
15 years ago

I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Advice? Reassurance? Venting?

My old(14) CRF/hyperthyroid cat has very bad teeth and I feel so badly for her. She eats fine and doesn't act like they bother her all that much, but you know cats...

A little over a year ago, the vet and I discussed knocking her out to clean and extract teeth. The vet discussed a lot of precautions we would want to take if we did go ahead with it, since her system is compromised and kidneys are rather vulnerable to anesthesia. DH and I debated it for a couple of weeks and finally decided it was not worth the risk.

Last night I was looking at her teeth, and they seem to be quite a bit worse than just a few months ago. I realize at some point the benefits of doing a dental procedure may outweigh the risks of anesthesia, and I'm fine with that- as long as I can figure out when that point is. The vet has been on the fence about whether the benefits outweigh the risks given the fact that she is eating and otherwise functioning well. Unless it is an emergency situation, the vet is resistant to anesthetizing a CRF cat, and would only do it if her blood values are being held in the normal range (via sub-Q fluids).

I just feel so bad for kitty. I would give anything to be able to fix her teeth without risking her kidneys (and ultimately her life) to anesthesia.

Thanks for listening to me today. It's really eating at me.

Comments (3)