SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeseeker

my other cats don't get along with new kitten

newhomeseeker
15 years ago

It has only been almost 2 weeks since I found a kitten dumped off in front of my house. I have slowly introduced her to my other 3 cats (ages 5,4,3). She has been running around loose with them and unsupervised for about nine days now. Their reactions are as follows: my 5 yr old male cat is normally very aggressive. He is very loving toward me, but if "bothered" which includes petting him for more than 30 seconds, he will bite, or scratch. He is aggressive with my 4 year old female (the dominant one) and plays with the 3 yr old (timid cat). I expected him to be annoyed with this kitten. Well he is a big teddy bear, she follows him around and tries to play with him. He either ignores her or just sniffs at her and watches her. He has never raised a paw to her or done anything aggressive. This includes when she plays with his tail or jumps at him.

The kitten and my older female don't really get along but most of the time they just stay out of each other's way. The 4 yr old female used to growl at the kitten but lately has not. THe kitten has found that this female will not run from her when she charges her and so she doesn't try to play anymore.

It is my younger female (3 yrs- the baby of the family) that I am still worried about. This girl is quite timid but loves to play and thinks she is still a kitten herself. she has not played much lately as she is too busy hiding from the kitten. She is very interested in the new kitten and will come out and just sit and watch her. She will get close to her when she's playing almost as if she desperately wants to join in. But if the kitten comes near her she will run or if I have been handling the kitten and come near my younger female she will run from me. The problem is the kitten is VERY active and has a habit of charging at my cats. She just wants to play and if they dont' move she will stop and maybe hiss at them and run away. But the younger female is very timid and when the kitten charges her she will take off running which the kitten thinks is a great game and tries to "play" this game quite often. This has led to the younger female being very afraid of the kitten. I am worried about both of them because the kitten wants so much to play with my other cats and the younger female used to be so playful (and she still tries to play with my two older cats and with her humans) but not as much as she used to becasue she is always on watch for the kitten.

Is there any way I can get her to be less fearful of the kitten? She does not hide all of the time, she will lay on the floor all stretched out and watch the kitten run around and play with interest. But if she gets too close she will run and hide.

Comment (1)