SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glenda_al

Just do not know if I want a roommate!

glenda_al
15 years ago

Travel agent emailed me re: Scotland/Ireland trip this summer, and said she has a nice lady that would like a roommate.

I've already paid for the trip including flight.

Paid for single the extra $800.

Had a bad experience once on a short cruise with lady, and we just didn't "click". Nothing wrong, except different personalities.

I hate to commit, maybe I'll ask for her phone number, meet over lunch and go from there.

What's your input?

Comments (41)

• pattico_gw
    15 years ago

So Glenda...if you meet with her and decide you don't like her....what will you say to her to tell her she didn't check out....LOL...I think that would be a hard one.

• susan_on
    15 years ago

Well, if it's not something you're interested in, maybe you shouldn't do it. It's crappy to have a trip ruined with the wrong roommate.

• Related Discussions

I just want you all to know.....

Q

Comments (2)
    hah...i completely understand....though im pretty much jealous of anyone with plants period.
    ...See More

How do I know if I have a mouse in my room or just in my head???

Q

Comments (4)
    Since this is an outer wall, I'll wager this is thermal expansion/contraction of the piping or heating elements. When I was very young, the house had a family room that had been converted from a screened porch. A loop of hydronic baseboard heat was the easiest to add to a system that had radiators elsewhere. As the heat would come on, one could hear the baseboards creaking with expansion, which would occur sequentially around the room. Sounded like some small and not especially energetic critter making the rounds. If you don't see droppings, you don't have mice. Snakes, maybe, but not mice.... ;-) Cheers
    ...See More

I'm just shaking....I don't know what to do.

Q

Comments (35)
    Good morning KT friends. After a tossing and turning kind of night, I'll have to put last night and the stolen meds behind me.....with a HUGE lesson learned!! We will not be trusting of anyone again. Sad, isn't it? Yes, a big part of this is our fault, having the meds on a table out in the open, but we didn't expect any company. If any neighbors drop in, it during the daytime. There were no refills on the prescription, so that is all they will get from us, and I hope they choke on it. After talking to a couple neighbors, we think Shelly passed the pills off to a gal who is a caretaker to an elderly lady, and a real low-life type, so it was easy for her to sy the Police could search her APT, and we all know he can't unless he gets a warrant. I'm not shaking any more but I'm still really pi$$ed.
    ...See More

I know what I need to do, I just can't bring myself to say goodbye.

Q

Comments (37)
    I'm so sorry. I was in your shoes this time last year. I knew our almost 13 year old German Shorthair Pointer was at the end of his life, and I was thinking I'd wait until after Christmas, but I realized that I needed to do it the right thing for him even though it was hard for me. We put him down on Dec. 17. :( I probably waited a bit too long, and I didn't realize how much stress I'd been under thinking about whether or not it was the right time until he was gone. There was almost a sense of relief. Missing him wasn't as difficult as wondering and worrying about whether or not I was doing the right thing. We all still miss him terribly, though. When the time comes, I highly recommend getting a vet to come to your house. It was so peaceful and less stressful than taking him to the office.
    ...See More
  • mary_c_gw
    15 years ago

Well, meeting up would give you a better grasp on the situation, and whether or not it would work for you.

Personally, I don't ever want a roommate when I'm traveling, and willingly pay extra to avoid it. I'm a very restless sleeper, and I can't stand people being up and around while I'm trying to sleep.

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thinking I'll ask travel agent to give me her number, give her a call, maybe meet for lunch and then see.

That's what I did with the other gal, and it didn't work.

I'm so independent, set in my ways, especially with sleeping.

Already paid the extra bucks. Know I will get a refund on the $800.

Thinking, and more thinking needed.

Thanks for the input, gals.

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

If I were fortunate enough to go on a trip like this, I would not want a room mate. I'd love to have someone to hang with part of the time, if I wanted, or share meals with, maybe, but I'd want my own room.

I love solitude and privacy and for something as grand as seeing Ireland I'd want a little quiet time to myself each day to absorb it all.

• coral_ok
    15 years ago

If I'd already paid the extra money, I'd go ahead and room solo. You know you'll be happy alone, but a roommate is kind of a crap shoot. Even when you know the person, there can be all sorts of unpleasant surprises when rooming with her. Unpleasant for HER, in my case. LOL

• marilyn_c
    15 years ago

Once when I was going to a waterlily symposium, a friend of mine that I usually traveled with, but couldn't make it this time, more or less set me up with another woman that she had met at a previous one. I had met her too, but hardly remembered her. I sure didn't mind paying the extra to stay by myself, and all I knew about this woman was that she was a dentist's wife. I was thinking...what does a shrimper's wife have in common with a dentist's wife?

Well, she called me and we talked, and we were so much alike....and she was hilariously funny to boot. I had a wonderful time and we became very close friends. She was so down to earth but eccentric, and a cat lover...not really a people person. Loved all kinds of plants and very knowledgable. She lived in Natchez, Mississippi, and knew a bunch of other eccentric people...and told wonderful stories about them.

But, I took a trip once with someone I did know, and tho we got along okay...it was not a pleasure for me. I tried to be very accomodating to her...just to get along, but she got on my nerves so bad. She was so moody and I couldn't relax around her.

Personally, I love to travel alone...but I guess it just depends on the person.

Hope if you decide to travel with her that you "click".

• grittymitts
    15 years ago

Maybe a phone call to the person to see if there's any connection, then lunch if you feel you would like to know her. I've met very sweet, likable people with a voice that is nerve grating or talks waay too loud.

I'd rather be alone than wish I were.
    Suzi

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

I traveled around Gr Britain and Scotland for 5 weeks in 1986 by myself went on a lot of trips and pub walks etc. met a lot of people and was always glad to leave them when I went to my hotel.
    I made all the decisions and picked the times etc.

• sheilajoyce_gw
    15 years ago

Get your own room. Then you can sleep when you want to and no one will snore and keep you awake.

• Deb_from_Pa
    15 years ago

I think I would go single.......you can always meet her on the trip, and if all goes well, you can still hang out as you would with anyone youd meet. Have a great trip!

http://debfrompa.proboards.com/index.cgi?/

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

On the first 7 trips I took with strangers worked out, but at this point in my life the women I travel with want a secretary/companion to take care of them. And they want to go everywhere I go. I even talked to one of them before we agreed to go that I need time alone. She kept apologizing for wanting to be with me. I made the mistake of giving one of them my cell phone number and she called me 4 times in one day. I travel alone now. It cuts into my travel money but it's worth it. Next time I cruise I will have my ipod with speakers for music in my room and take a movie or two for my laptop if I get bored.

• Marcia Thornley
    15 years ago

I wouldn't do it Glenda. She probably is a very nice lady, but that doesn't mean you & she will share the same ideas about traveling. I'd go single and then try to get to know her if you want some company.

• barbara3
    15 years ago

When I did tours like that, I always went as a single. I could go to bed and get up when I wanted and liked the time of quiet away from the rest of the group even for that small amount of time.

Also the bathroom was always available when I needed it.

Even if she is a lovely lady at lunch, having lunch with someone is different altogether from having to room with them for a couple of weeks.

If you are used to being on your own, it will be difficult to share your time with someone 24 - 7, which is what will happen, believe me. If this person is not used to travelling, you'll end up being tour guide, porter, companion, and sitter. You won't get much time on your own. You will end up having to pass everything by her to see if she wants to go, do, see, etc.. You know how it is when you travel with a friend, let alone someone you don't know.

I'd stick with the single option. Then you can enjoy your trip the way you had planned to.

• lyndy_pa
    15 years ago

I think it is nice that you are meeting her to see if it would work. If it were me, I would stick to the single option.

• mcmann
    15 years ago

A couple of thoughts popped into my mind.

How long is the trip? Do you think she needs a roommate in order to save money? I've gone on day trips with people on really tight budgets and it was uncomfortable at meal times because they only wanted to eat at fast food places or diners.

When I travel I make sure I have all the spending money I need before the trip so that I can relax and enjoy myself. That way I have more options- I can splurge or eat cheap. It could be difficult if your roommate also becomes attached at the hip. I'd probably go alone especially since you've already budgeted for it.

• nodakgal
    15 years ago

She could be a wonderful person. BUT not knowing her, I'd pass on it. Like everyone's said you can do other things together...rooming together is a whole different deal, you can't get away from her if needed.

• kathy_
    15 years ago

I was going to say try it - but what if she latches onto you the whole time? Lay down the rules if you do meet. Make sure you have some "me" time.

• Granlan_TX
    15 years ago

I'd pass on meeting her and that would be it for me.

I know myself too well, like you do, Glenda.

I say go with your instincts and do not have a roommate.

• czech_chick
    15 years ago

If it were me, I would NOT want a roommate. It's possible she may want to tag along with you for sightseeing, meals, etc. If your personalities differ, this could be a vacation-ruiner!

Carol

• donna_oh
    15 years ago

Glenda, I think your mind was made up when you booked your trip--If you wanted a room mate you would've told the travel agent to try to find you someone! I'd want my own room!

Don't take a chance of spoiling your great trip!

Donna (^_^)

• lisa_fla
    15 years ago

Hmmm,,,,its tough to make a decision on this. It would be great if you clicked and then had a future traveling friend as well. Meeting for lunch would at least give you some info-what she plans on touring, smoker yes-no, what she likes to do at night, types of restaurants and food she likes, etc. It would be fun to have someone to pal around with. What kind of accomodations do you have-a hotel room? Hmmm...$800 back would be nice...but is it worth it? Only you can decide....She's probably nervous a little too. I think I would have to at least meet her and tell her about me and what I plan on this trip.

• margad
    15 years ago

You already paid for a single room. Why change it and get someone who might ruin the trip for you.

• cate52
    15 years ago

I also come down on staying single.... I like my quiet time and not sharing a bathroom... staying up & reading without bothering someone else... especially since you've already paid for it -- You've paid a lot of money to enjoy your trip... Even if you meet & kinda click -- that's no guarantee that you would enjoy your trip sharing the same room... I don't know how often you travel - and if you like her - maybe on the next trip...

• LorifromUtah
    15 years ago

Sounds like she wants to get a cheaper trip at your expense Glenda. You already have misgivings about having a roomate...any roomate so why tempt fate? You KNOW the trip will be enjoyable if you have single accomodations. Why take the chance of ruining a super cruise?

I think you are asking for trouble by even meeting the woman and you will regret it if you share a room with her but that's just my opinion.

Lori

• imabest
    15 years ago

Hey Ms Glender you planned on a nice room all for yourself stick to it and then you dont have to worry about snoring or coughing or if she is hot or cold ....That way you can have just what you want and do what you want.,Have a great trip I wish I could go with you I would Love to go to Ireland since my birthday is St Pats day!!!!! Have fun and look for me in your closet LOL hugs imabest

• chisue
    15 years ago

Stick to your original plan. The only 'up-sides' are a savings of $800 and the *possibility* of making a friend.

That $800 can't be a huge percentage of the cost of the tour.

If the woman does take the same tour, you will meet her anyway -- and possibly make a friend.

Tell your travel agent you're a light sleeper and need your own 'space' -- no feelings hurt.

• pump_toad
    15 years ago

I agree with most of the others. Room alone! There is nothing worse than having someone who wants to talk or use the TV when you want to sleep. Or maybe they snore !

• carla35
    15 years ago

Some of nicest people can make bad roommates. I don't think you'll be able to tell much from having lunch with her. Will she set her alarm and hit snooze 5 times, will she take long showers and over take the bathroom, will she expect to do everything with you, does she snore, will she use your lipstick, or rob you blind? Just because you two hit it off socially doesn't mean you know her. Heck I'm not sure I'd want to room with a friend, but a total stranger, no way.

I'd stick with the single.

• Kathsgrdn
    15 years ago

I wouldn't mind a roommate, I mean how long is the trip? I can't imagine a one or two week trip where you couldn't get along with someone for that amount of time. Plus, how long are you really going to be in your room for? Long enough to sleep? If it was longer than that, though, I may just keep the single room. If she really got on your nerves you could just up and leave and go do things on your own.

I have to say, though, I told one woman at work who no one can stand that I wasn't looking for a traveling companion to Germany. She is rude, know-it-all and lazy. I couldn't imagine spending nearly a month traveling with her, she would want to do everything her way. I also couldn't imagine her sleeping in a youth hostel with me and the kids, going Volksmarching, doing all the walking we're going to be doing, taking only one carryon-a backpack, or eating picnic lunches for dinner to save a little money. I think she would think it beneath her. So, when she said she really wanted to go and if I was looking for someone to go with, I told her no, I'm just taking my kids. Later, though, another woman said she wanted to go and take her granddaughter and I said ok. I don't really care if I hurt the other one's feelings because she is really a hateful person.

• cream_please
    15 years ago

"When in doubt, don't."

Cream

• caflowerluver
    15 years ago

I like my 'personal space' too much to put up with a roommate at my age. Since you already paid, I would go solo.
    Clare

• jaybird
    15 years ago

She could be great, but I would never give up my own space if there was any possible way to avoid it!
    Have a wonderful trip Ms. Glenda!

• mariend
    15 years ago

I too like my own space and even though I have never traveled overseas, I prefer to have my own room. That way when I wake up midnight and want to read I can. Also if I want to eat bymyself, or with whoever I can. And eat what I want to. The only downside if a person got real sick especially at night or had a health problem, it would be kind of nice to have immediate help if that person would do so. As I do not do good around sick ones I would be looking real fast for someelse.
    Enjoy yourself and have fun.

• Maggie4
    15 years ago

Have been to both countries. You'll love them. If you want to go it alone and are okay with it then go that way. If your with a tour group then you'll meet people to spend time with. I love to go alone because then I can eat when I want, go see what I want ect. If you want company maybe you'll meet someone from that country and they can show you off the tourist map places. They are both safe countries to go off alone. Have fun.

Be sure to post pictures when you get back.

• gwanny2three
    15 years ago

Nope...sleeping in the same room with someone I hardly know wouldn't be an option for me. I could hang out with them and sightsee..but not share my space. I like my privacy and solitude too much!

• linda_in_iowa
    15 years ago

Since you have already paid for the single, I would just keep it. When I went to Italy with a tour group, I could not afford a single room and was matched up with someone close to my age. It was an eleven day trip and halfway through she started getting on my nerves. Mostly because she brought several suitcases and still washed clothes daily and hung them in the shower to dry. I had to move them every time I showered. I am not talking about undies, she washed dresses, skirts, etc. I got to be friends with two of her friends on the trip and I still keep in touch with one of them.

• okwriter
    15 years ago

I think you're smart, Glenda, to at least meet her and see what happens.
    You never know!!

• glenda_al
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just emailed travel agent, who will also be with our group of 25, and told her, I'd rather keep my status "as is" single rooming.

Will be away 15 days total.
    We are all traveling as a group.

• minnie_tx
    15 years ago

Will be away 15 days total.
    We are all traveling as a group.
    ......That's nice and I think you'll get all the "togetherness" you want!!

• rthummer
    15 years ago

Good for you, Glenda. I like to have my privacy, and 15 days is a long time to have a roomate even if your personalities DO CLICK. I think roomates are like fish, after 3 days they both start stinking.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus