SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkwag_gw

Walls primed! Need color suggestions.

mkwag
14 years ago

After a year, I am tired of Behr's Pumpkin Butter in my house. The walls are primed but I'm not sure about a color scheme. Since it's such a pain to paint, I'm leaning towards some lighter neutrals. My problem is the open layout of my house - the kitchen and 1 living room are open to each other; the dining room and the other living area are open to each other but the two living rooms are semi-connected in that they share a common wall and a center wall that doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling. :) Here are some photos of the house when we bought it:

This is the front door/living room as seen from the dining room. The wall with the window and the door circles around to...

My second living room. I'm not sure if you can tell but the wall to the left leading to the doorway does not go up to the ceiling. If you stand at that doorway and look left you see...

The kitchen. The wall above the kitchen travels over the Wall That Does Not Meet The Ceiling to...

The wall right above the dining room. This is also the view from the front door. Right now my dining room is a deep red (Antique Red by Olympic I think) and we're thinking about making a small partition wall on the right side to make it more formal. Plus my hubby loves the red. I'll try and post a photo of my dining room later.

Also here are some photos of the kitchen which, as you saw before, is open to both the living room and the dining room.

I'm hoping for a more neutral color scheme even though I remember not liking the paint that was on the wall when we moved in. The living room with the fireplace does not get much natural light even though the french doors lead out to a sunroom.

Right now the Wall That Does Not Meet The Ceiling is painted Fragrant Cloves by Olympic but I'm not sure about keeping it. I kind of like having it asan accent wall. It has two pictures on it:

I've been looking at some BM colors - Peanut Shell, Bar Harbor Beige, Shaker... Nothing too yellow-y. I'm just looking for something nice and neutral. You can't tell in the photos, but the ceilings have a 45 degree angle than level off at top. I've seen a few posts where people have continued the wall color through the angled part of the wall. I really like that idea. There is a lot of trim work that is bright white at the moment and I love the idea of using a lighter shad of whatever color goes on the wall. I'm leaning towards a more monochromatic scheme I think but I'm totally open to any and all suggestions.

Photos would be wonderful. I've been lurking about the last few days and love some of the ideas that I've read. :)

Thanks!

Comments (4)