SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pjb999

Toilet blocks frequently...

pjb999
17 years ago

My upstairs toilet blocks frequently, really frequently....err just with normal use - not even talking about lots of toilet paper (sorry for details)

ALL other drains in the house appear fine. The downstairs toilet doesn't seem to have any problems either, so that suggests to me there's no main drain problem...

We've owned the house less than a year, and there's a sticker in the furnace room from Roto-rooter saying they'd unblocked 100' of the line a few years ago.....

The house is around 25 years old, and the line, at least where I can see the cleanout, appears to be ABS so I'd assume the line out to the main sewer is ABS too. I'm considering that significant because I'm thinking it makes it less likely that tree roots etc would get into it, not like clay pipes. There's no evidence of collapse etc from the front lawn (although it's not very even but I assume that's the roots of the large spruce in the front yard)

So I don't know if the drain clearing was for tree roots....like I said, no other drains seem to have the problem...

Toilet's a cheap-looking American Standard, I'm wondering if it's the design of the toilet itself, or maybe too sharp an angle in an elbow in the drain or some such....bathroom was remodelled not long ago and I'm assuming the toilet's new - I can't guarantee it was done by a licensed plumber since there's a building boom on here, (Kamloops BC) and lots of unlicensed cowboys doing renos.

I have noticed that compared to Australia, toilets in general here do see more prone to blockage - I don't know what the standard for indoor drains is but I assume it's 100mm/around 4 inches for newer, and more narrow is it 3" in older cast-iron drains?

All I know is when I was living in Australia I never even needed to own a plunger, at the most I could solve most blockages by pouring a bucket of water down from on a stepladder. (i think we were all conned when they did away with overhead toilet cisterns, they did a much better job)

I haven't snaked the thing yet, and I guess I could, failing that, take the toilet off and check for some sort of a snag, but this is not a permanent blockage - it comes and goes.

Is this just how it is? I'm not working right now so can't really afford a plumber (or my own snake even) but will put one or the other on a list, if the experts think there's something to be gained!

Comments (15)