SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foosacub

chewing on toes?

foosacub
16 years ago

My boyfriend's dog has lived with his mother for a long while now. He is a three year old intact male, suspected to be a beagle/JRT mix. Very happy dog, runs around sniffing and playing most of the time. Only gets anxious when mother's husband gets packed up to go to the ranch. (He gets to go on most every trip to the ranch, and LOVES it there.)

So, Peanut has started chewing on the tops of his paws. He's had a bath since the behavior started, so I don't think it would be a reaction to something that he got into. There is no chemical agent or caustic material he could get into. He's doing it on all four paws, same place.

Pain, anxiety, and developed allergies were what came to mind when I heard about it. Any other ideas? They are suspecting chiggers - wouldn't the chiggers affect other areas, though? Also, he is on preventative meds - not sure if they cover chiggers or not. Boyfriend mentioned his nails are in dire need of clipping - possibly related?

I'll be passing this along to boyfriend's mother, hopefully they'll get it all figured out.

TIA! :)

Comments (8)