SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janetl57

Water hammer after plumber came

janetl57
15 years ago

A couple of week ago a plumber came out for a couple of minor things--unplugged dishwasher drain and checked out shutoff valve (only had to tighten the packing nut) on the toilet and showed me how to turn off water at the street, cuz our main shutoff is frozen. He then did a few minor repairs on the toilet, even though I didn't request it---replaced a washer in the fluidmaster fill valve and the flapper.

After that we noticed a water hammer problem at the toilet. Closing the shutoff valve 1/2 helps. We've had minor water hammer in the past but it definitely got worse. Yesterday I decided to replace the washing machine hoses and a previously minor cold water hammer problem became severe, I'm afraid to use it. Just installed an arrester at the cold line to the washing machine and that does not help at all.

Could the plumber have opened the water valve at the street "wider" resulting in more pressure, thus creating more hammer? Should I try closing that part way?

Could I have damaged the washing machine cold-valve in tryng to remove the old hose? I did have to use a lot of pressure to get it off the machine.

Should I call the plumber back? He seemed like a nice guy but he charged $140 for those few things--he hasn't yet cashed the check.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!