SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

gk5040 would you mind?

brutuses
15 years ago

gk, I was admiring your lovely decor in the room you posted showing off your sofa table. What a unique space you have for the TV. Not the typical square alcove. Very nice.

Would you mind posting photo's of some other rooms in your home? Judging by this room, you have excellent taste and style and I would love to see more.

I need all the inspiration and help I can get from people like you who obviously know what they are doing when it comes to decorating their home. Thanks and I hope I'm not being too cheeky making this request.

Comments (36)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliment. I dont mind. I was having a lot of problems with photobucket, I will try to upload some more pics tomorrow. It tells me there is an error. Here are some pics already uploaded. I am still trying to figure it out. We have been in our house 2 1/2 years. We redid the kitchen and had the cabinet man put cabinets in that tv space. It was a blank area. The arch was there.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gk, thanks so much. That ceiling in the dining room is something else. The entire room is just beautiful.

You have a wonderful space for entertaining outside too.

As for photobucket, if your account is full sometimes it will not let you put in any more photo's without first deleting some. Also, are you using the old way of loading or the new? I can't do the new option because it screws me up.

I look forward to seeing some more photo's. Thanks again for posting them.

• Related Discussions

Would you mind helping me ID this orchid please ? Pics.

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you Arthur and Sambac. Arthur those are gorgeous. Sam, I thought I could get away with ground planting them but the woman at Ace thought that was a bad idea. I looked at the pot they're currently in and thought, "they look fairly content to me ?" I think I'm going to pot them in a nice bark heavy cactus mix combo regardless. Now, one more question. It has gotten quite leggy, can I lop it off or will that kill any potential blooms by cutting off the top ? Also, will those cuttings root, I'm suspecting yes. Thanks so much.
    ...See More

acountryfarm would you mind.....???

Q

Comments (2)
    I will get some good close-up pics tomorrow for you. It does have the chair rail at the top to finish it. It seemed to be the best solution.
    ...See More

would you mind critiquing a recipe for me please?

Q

Comments (13)
    I do chicken quite often in the crockpot and it usually turns out good. But dark meat is definately recommended, although I do chicken pieces, including breasts, successfully. Thighs are the most highly recommended. But chicken is not a "leave it in all day while you're at work" kind of meat to make in a crockpot, it cooks too quickly. Leave it in all afternoon on a weekend and have for dinner--yes. You need to brown it first for best results. And yes, bone in for the crockpot. 5-6 hours on low TOPS. Six is really too many. There have been some posts about doing boneless chicken breasts and other boneless cuts in the crockpot, but I don't know much about that, since I cannot afford those cuts. Really not necessary to do those kinds of cuts in a crockpot, seems to me, since the chief advantage they have is their easy, quick prep. time. You don't want too much liquid in your chicken or it just stews, (unless it is actually chicken STEW you are making, lol). I do a sweet and sour moroccan chicken in the crockpot and it turns out yummy. I drain the fat from the remaining juices/sauce in the crockpot and thicken it with a little cornstarch for a smooth thick flavorful sauce.
    ...See More

If you have a blackish granite, would you mind posting a picture?

Q

Comments (3)
    I don't have cherry cabinets (they're maple) but I do have oak floors and Verde Butterfly granite, which reads "blackish".
    ...See More
  • brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gk, thanks so much. That ceiling in the dining room is something else. The entire room is just beautiful.

You have a wonderful space for entertaining outside too.

As for photobucket, if your account is full sometimes it will not let you put in any more photo's without first deleting some. Also, are you using the old way of loading or the new? I can't do the new option because it screws me up.

I look forward to seeing some more photo's. Thanks again for posting them.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgive me, the computer is acting nutty and I didn't realize it sent the message the first time!!

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Do you know how many photos can be in the account before its full. I wish it would tell me its full, instead I get errors. I tried again and had problems. I will try to post again tomorrow night. I will be out during the day. You think if I delete some photos I can add new ones? The ceiling in the dining room was textured. Its called knock down. Almost every home in Florida has this "crap" on the walls and ceilings. My walls have what they call orange peel sprayed on them, just a different texture. I sponged gold Ralph Lauren paint on the ceiling....very easy. Rollered the first coat, then sponged on two. I need to glaze it with a brown to tone it down a tad. We love our pool area. We finished it a little over a year ago. We refurbished the existing pool interior, added a waterfall, travertine decking and an outdoor grill. We are getting a piano, hopefully early this week. We have been waiting over 3 weeks for it. I will post a pic of the living room after the piano....I promised someone that picture 2 weeks ago:(

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, I do not know how many it will hold. When my account acted up I'm not sure if it told me it was full, I think it did. I just deleted some and then added some. I delete some every now and then. Are you using the old or new way of loading the photo's? The old way is slower, but works better for me. Also, if you try to load photo's that are not sized properly it will reject them. I notice your first photo's are the right size and your third was a smaller size so I didn't know if you were having trouble with sizing.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bump

• gk5040
    15 years ago

brutuses, I opened a new account so i will try to post some more pics tomorrow. i keep my photos on my sons computer and he is asleep. I tried grabbing photos thru the network but I cant see what i am grabbing....too time consuming I keep picking the wrong files.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks gk, I look forward to seeing them.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

last night I was able to upload one photo, but it came out small.....I have no idea why, i was wondering the same thing. I will retry tomorrow:)

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We just acquired a new camera and realized after the first photo's were taken and loaded, that we had not adjusted the setting on the camera itself for the size. Check your camera for that. If the camera is OK, then check your software settings where you are initially loading to. Hope this helps.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures of your gorgeous home too!

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

I just took a look at my account page on Photobucket and I noticed something that might help you. Click on "Account Options" (upper right corner). Assuming you're still logged in it will know it's you. On the Accounts page there will be two boxes. The left box is your personal information, the right box is titled "Account Dashboard". There you'll see album size, monthly bandwidth, total pictures,etc. Under mine for instance it says I've got 8 pictures total and I'm only using 8% of my bandwidth. See what it says for your account.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I just posted on the sofa table blog.....I messed up my son's computer!!! Stupid me was trying to speed things up so I thought lets delete the unwanted programs, I must have deleted something important! All because of this darn photobucket!!! I am on hold until Friday when my husband can fix it. I will return!!!!
    I logged onto photobucket from the laptop and it says I have 57 pictures, album size 8mb (0%), monthly bandwidth 1.2 gb (4%)
    I probably need to clarify....while I had a decorator, my house was not to die for....many of my neighbors homes were!!! She helped me with paint color, arranging furniture, drapes, pictures and some accessories. My husband would dread when she was coming because it meant he had to write a check. I spent a lot of money and it looked good, but I was always envying someone elses house.

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You sure don't have to be envious of anyone's else's home from what I see of yours.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Here are some pics I already have on photobucket
    this house kitchen, still cant figure out why its small

master bath

close up of book shelf

old house family room

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much. Absolutely lovely.

• eagertopaint
    15 years ago

Your bathroom is absolutely gorgeous? Do you mind sharing your paint color? Just beautiful, as is your entire home.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

gk, ooooohhhhhh aaaaaaahhhhh and big golf claps! Ya "got it" kiddo.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I am SO looking forward to your husband's return so he can get your pics back up so we can see them.....you have such a lovely home and even if you don't think it is "over the top", that is want I am wanting so see.....IMHO too many of them that decorators do are just "too much" for my taste and to me look cluttered......but anxiously waiting to see the rest of your home because what I have already viewed are beautiful~~~

• gk5040
    15 years ago

As I always mention, I love the old SW color sticks that have Dromedary Camel and Raffia basket. The bathroom color is on the dromedary camel stick, a few shades darker called Praline. The previous homeowners had redone the bathroom, I painted the master bedroom Dromedary camel and this tied the two room together. My only regret is that I used satin, since the DH is not neat about keeping water off the wall where the towels are hung. I dont like how shiney it came out, I am a big fan of flat.

• flyingflower
    15 years ago

Ooooh is right! Stunning!!
    My entire house is painted in Satin except for the kitchen and bathrooms which are semi-gloss, so I like the more durable finishes. Even though you prefer flat I think it was a good idea to paint it in satin, at the very least. I've heard if you wash it with TSP that will help take the shine out. Not sure if it will cause blotches in the color so I'd check on that first if you wanted to give it a try.

• scarlet_morgan
    15 years ago

Wow, GK, your home is gorgeous! I especially love the drama of the family room in your old house. It is stunning! Thanks for sharing.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Ok, after many problems with Photobucket, I switched to flickr, and then I couldnt find how to post....thanks to a friendly poster, I might have it figured out....lets see....drum roll...

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Here is the living room.

Now that I am back in business, I have to upload more photos:)

• phoggie
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I was thrilled to see you also have brass fixtues in your bathroom... I do also, and really don't want to change them for myself, because they are not only pretty pricey, but I happen to like them with my cherry cabinets...they are more "warm" than the silver color.....but we are thinking of selling this house and have been so torn as to if I need to change them to keep up with "trends"....although I did change the brass in the kitchen to ORB...not nearly as expensive to do than changing all the bathroom fixtures. GOOD JOB...show us more.....have you posted your kitchen?

• gk5040
    15 years ago

I was just working on uploading the kitchen. The brass fixtures were installed by the previous homeowners. They are Moen faucets and the shower surround has brass, so it matches.....not my first choice, but chrome wouldnt have looked as good and I dont think 5 years ago you could get the shower surround in ORB. I am sure it was cheaper to use brass then make it seamless. At least the mirros and light fixtures are not brass, I am not sure what they are but they go nicely with the brass.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

kitchen:)

• boystown
    15 years ago

gk5040: Wow---beautiful kitchen!!!! Would you mind sharing the paint color??? Have you also carried the same color to your living room/den? Hope you don't mind so many questions but what do you have in your jars on your bar??? They sure look nice. Thank you for sharing pics of your lovely home.

• twizzis
    15 years ago

gk, a feast for my eyes!

• krisfl
    15 years ago

GK - is that a triple slider in your family room and are your window treatments just decorative or do they close? I have a triple slider and can't decide what to do with it. It has verticals now, which I hate the way they look, but I love the functionality of them - and they don't trap allergens. BUT, I love the look of drapes, but a triple slider would need a lot of drapes. Can you post a picture of the slider? Thanks. Kristine

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Color in kitchen and family room/den is SW sesame, the living room (where the piano is) is one shade lighter called Raffia Basket.
    The short jars are filled with vase fillers from Target, one is plastic cherries, one is multicolored brown balls, the third was a combo package (all from Target). The bigthe other two are popouri packages. The tall jars: one has a popouri from Steinmart, the other is brown and white flower tops, and the 3rd is fake Target walnuts:)

• gk5040
    15 years ago

It is a triple slider and a single window. These drapes were made for my previous house, they were on 2 seperate double hung windows. The ink wasnt even dry on the check when we found out we were moving:( I put two panels together in the middle. They are stationary.

However, in the living room I have a travis rod (which I painted the wall color, with sheers behind those stationary drapes. I dont have a picture of that room with the sheers closed. Scroll up and look at the pic with the piano, you can see the rod I painted the wall color. The sheers are tucked behind the drapes. Those drapes were in my previous home too. They were on 2 windows. I had someone put two panels together so that they could be reseperated if I ever moved and wanted to take them with me.

• gk5040
    15 years ago

Brutuses and krisfl, I dont think you saw my response, so I am posting to bring it back to the top of the message board. Cheating, I guess:)

• brutuses
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks

• krisfl
    15 years ago

Thanks GK! I didn't even see the rod in your living room until you pointed it out - that is a great idea!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor