SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ovenbird

Freezing almond flour thumbprint cookies or dough

ovenbird
11 years ago

Do you think these cookies would freeze well after baking? I want to make 3 double recipes for a New Year's party but not at the same time. They are time consuming and labor intensive but well worth it for those of us watching our carbs. Baking one double recipe at a time is about all I can handle.

Also do you think the dough would freeze well? I was thinking I could make the dough, roll into 1" logs and freeze. Then remove from freezer, cut into 1" pieces, roll into balls and proceed with the recipe.

I'm looking to spread out time and labor over several days.

Almond Thumbprint Cookies (carb wars blog)
Makes 30 cookies (Total carbs: 1.5 grams if using all sugar-free ingredients)

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened to room temperature
Sugar substitute equal to 1 cup sugar (I used 3/4 cup)
1 large egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups almond flour or almond meal
1/3 cup finely chopped almonds (I omitted)
1/4 cup sugar free jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream the butter with an electric mixer, then blend in the sweetener, egg yolk, and vanilla extract. Whisk the almond flour together with the baking powder and salt. Stir into the butter mixture until smooth.

Refrigerate for 1 hour. Shape dough into 1-inch diameter balls and roll in chopped almonds. Place on a large cookie sheet. Make an impression in each ball with your thumb. Return to the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

Bake cookies for 18 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned and baked through. While still hot, fill the cavities with a teaspoon of jam (I used 1/4 tsp). Return to oven for 2 or 3 minutes to melt jam. (I used the ATK method of gently reindenting the cookies before filling with jam, using the bottom of a measuring spoon or melon baller dipped in water.)

Comments (2)