SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dianalo_loco

Marmoleum fiasco - update

dianalo
13 years ago

Hey all,

The Forbo rep came here yesterday to view my floor. There is no question it needs replacing.

His initial reaction was that since about half of the click parts of the tile had to be shaved off to achieve the pattern, that the installer should shoulder some of the responsibility for the new floor, since that is where the water got through. I explained that he was a handyman sort who put a lot of effort into making the pattern work with the materials provided to him and that the floor did not take on damage until the cleaning people used too much water on it.

The Forbo rep said he'd get back to me after speaking to the tech guys. He said we should have used either the 1' squares and not mixed in the larger 1 x 3' planks or used the glue down tiles in Marm (did not know that was an option). I told him that I bought the Click tiles from a certified Forbo dealer who knew the pattern I was doing. He was the one who calculated how much to buy. I could have done differently if told then. As it stands, I could do it differently when it is installed this next time, but can't do anything about the way it had been done.

If there is any "blame" for my floor being ruined, it would be shared by the cleaning company and the Forbo dealer. The cleaning company was doing a favor for the Forbo rep because he gives them a lot of big commercial jobs. I can see why he is hesitant to go to them for reimbursement, since this had not been a paying job for them. If he wants some help paying for it, that should be between corporate Forbo and the dealer and not something for us to be involved in. I just want to have a functioning, sound floor again. It was not cheap and obviously, I don't want to start out my kitchen with a damaged floor.

The rep was nice and I appreciate the position he is in. He was trying to do the right thing by their product by having the floors buffed and cleaned to remove the scratches. It is unfortunate all around. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next, in case anyone is considering Marmoleum for their own floors.

On the bright side, my stencil arrived Sat. and I got to put some of it up since then. I work weekends, so I get more done on Mon-Wed, but yesterday had a work appt and had to deal with other house matters so did not get as much done as planned.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH