SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debrak2008

What kind of party is this?

debrak2008
10 years ago

Years ago I went to a cocktail party at a country club. Apparently usually only hors d'oeuvres are served. At this party it was a full meal. There were different stations with things like potatoes, some type of beef, veggies, etc. The event went for a few hours and you could come and go, eating what and when you wanted. Nice.

I would like to do this for Christmas, Maybe. What is this called? I want to explain it correctly so the guests know what to expect.

If I invite my side over they usually can't come all at the same time due to other family obligations. I could say drop in between 4 pm and 8pm ???? and there would be food available.

I would do somewhat traditional foods but with a twist. I used to host Christmas for my husbands family and since there were so many people it was impossible to all sit down at once. Every family would bring a dish that was easy to serve and eat. Not all finger foods but nothing to messy. It was the same idea as the cocktail party. The only thing I would have changed about those parties was the lack of main dishes. Many people brought desserts.

What kind of party am I talking about? Has anyone done this or gone to one? Will I be in way over my head?

I have other ideas but I will stop now. I haven't entertained for a holiday is over 10 or 15 years so I'm a little out of practice.

Comments (3)