SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schoolbelle_gw

Why this sudden aggression?

schoolbelle
14 years ago

We adopted our Border Collie (mix) from a shelter about 1-1/2 years ago and at that time he was probably about one year old. He's very laid-back, intelligent, and easy to train. Since we live out in the country we've worked with him about his boundaries and he mostly enjoys sitting in the lawn or following my husband or I around during the day. At night he's in the house with us. He's gotten to the point that we've not been too concerned about allowing him to wander about the property although we do watch him very closely with bicyclists as he will try to stop them by grabbing a pant leg if he can which I've been told is part of the herding instinct. I'm open to suggestions to break him of this habit, but at the moment it's the least of our problems.

In the past week the neighbor's small dog ran into our yard with the 12 year old son chasing it trying to catch it and return it to their home. We didn't see what happened but apparently our dog entered into the fray and bit the boy's leg enough to draw blood. Since then, whenever our dog sees this boy or his siblings our dog lunges and acts like he would attack them again. I've never seen them teasing our dog, so I don't suspect that is the case. Tonight we walked our dog (on a very short leash) to their house to see if we could ask the boy to toss our dog some treats and perhaps make amends. Usually once our dog has "met" people or other dogs he'll ignore them at future meetings. But even with the treats our dog seemed to be very stressed (losing hair) and wanted to be aggressive with these kids. I am totally horrified! We've had all sorts of people in and out with children too and he's always been totally gentle with them. I am terrified that he will just attack any random kid that passes by and I'm sure that I'm sending him emotional messages of my fear too. My husband thinks that one strike and you're done...he needs to be sent elsewhere or put down. I want to be a good dog owner but I want to be a good neighbor too. What do you think? What would you do?

Comments (23)