SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmich

Former Chinese drug regulator sentenced to death

Nancy in Mich
16 years ago

I subscribe to the FDA list-serve now, to keep an eye on the food alerts after the melamine scare. Today, they had an alert that cattle, sheep, goats, shrimp, and fish food by Tembec BTLSR Inc. of Toledo, Ohio and Uniscope, Inc. of Johnstown, Colo. was contaminated with melamine. I mentioned it to DH, wh said he had heard that China will execute the official who was in charge of drug and food safety. He is accused of taking bribes worth $800,000+. He was fired in 2005 and this week received the death sentence in a trial.

In searching for this story, I also came across an explanation of why the melamine was added. It is found in plastic, and can be refined from scrap plastics and resold. The food manufacturers have learned that adding melamine to food products makes the food to appear to have more protein because the melamine increased the nitrogen content of the food. Testing for nitrogen is an easy way to determine meat/vegetable protein content of food because protein has a high nitrogen content. So you add melamine to grain products, and it looks like it is fortified with protein. OF course, the melamine does not have any nutritional value, and is a poison. A lot of pet owners now know how it can cause fatal kidney failure.

One article told of a neighborhood that had been built on top of a dump site where a lot of melamine plastic had been dumped. The houses were torn down so that the chemical company could dig up the melamine and use it in food. The producer gets paid a much higher price for food containing more protein. Using the old nitrogen test, there is no way to tell if it is really protein, or just melamine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ex-Regulator to be executed

Comments (5)