SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sally2_gw

Roasting chicken

sally2_gw
14 years ago

As a vegetarian I don't roast too many birds, but I'm roasting one for Christmas dinner for the 3 meat eaters in the family. So, I have some questions. My son thought a chicken a little over 5 pounds was enough for the 3 of them, especially since DD hardly eats a thing. So, that's what I bought. When DH saw it, he thought it was too small. Do I need to get another chicken? We're also having

butternut squash soup

Alice Water's fennel, mushroom and parmesan salad

Brussels Sprouts sauted with pecans

Mashed potatoes

maybe beets

and I'm having roasted or broiled portabella mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese, or something like that, for my main dish.

and some kind of chocolate cheesecake for desert.

My other question is about the actual roasting of the chicken. I decided to do Ina Garten's recipe, with the garlic, lemons and bacon, but before DH knew that, he started talking about wanting to use the drippings for gravy. When I told him what I planned, we both thought that would make odd gravy for mashed potatoes. So, the other thought would be to roast it the way Julia Childs did, slathered in butter and stuffed with onions, and I don't remember what else. Or do any of you have a T&T recipe?

Finally, do I really need to tie it up, or can I just tuck the wings in? Do I need to go buy some sterile string? I forgot to get any.

Thanks

Sally

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon and Garlic Roast Chicken

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH