SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Feedback on point of use water heaters?

artemis78
10 years ago

We are considering getting a point of use electric water heater for a bathroom sink, and I'm wondering what kind of experiences GWers have had with this technology and with specific brands/models.

Here's the problem we're trying to solve: during a remodel a few years back, we had to move our gas tank water heater to the other side of our house (small 1250 sf house; originally heater had been directly below the sinks/tub that used the water) to meet modern-day codes for venting. The side effect has been that we now wait several minutes for water to warm up at the sinks because the water has to cross the house. This is a particular issue at our bathroom sink, where we run the water 3-4 minutes to warm it up for a minute or two of use. Now that our community is officially in a drought, I'm thinking that a point of use water heater below the sink might be a cost-effective solution to save the water. Could this be the solution?

And a bigger question: our house water heater is 18 years old, which we know is approaching end of life. The plan had been to replace it with a whole house tankless heater when it dies, but as I learn more about point of use heaters, I wonder if that might not be a good solution for our small home. We only use hot water at three points (kitchen, bathtub, sink), and our dishwasher and washer heat their own water. Do these actually work, and would it make just as much sense to eventually get three individual units sized to the applications vs. a whole house heater?

Thanks for any feedback!

Comments (5)