SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_lou_who

How Safe Is ACE?

cindy_lou_who
11 years ago

One of my bulldogs is terrified of most loud noises, especially thunder & fireworks. She also has issues with separation anxiety. She has to be by my side at all times.

Usually she can sense a storm 20-30 minutes before it hits, if we see her shaking, we know a storm is coming. Sometimes she'll pee, usually it's a lot of shaking, drooling, gas, and whimpering. She has broken her crate, cutting her eye in the process.

With the Fourth Of July coming, we saw the vet today to see about medication. He prescribed Ativan to be used as needed for thunderstorms, and ACE only to be used for things like the Fourth (when we know it'll be all day noise)

I explained to him that I did not want ACE because of all the warnings I've read about reactions, especially in dogs with short noses (Boxers, Bulldogs, etc) because of breathing issues. He denied that was true and insisted ACE is safe. The more I read, I don't want to give it to her. He was against Valium because he said it was short acting and not worth using.

Do any of you have experience with ACE or maybe another suggestion? (The Thundershirt was a waste. $50 to make her look cute while she shakes)

Comments (5)