SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newalgier

Nuvo Water Conditioner review.

Newalgier
10 years ago

I installed a Nuvo about 4 months ago. I live in a city with hard water (up to 250 ppm) and high pH (up to 8) although this varies, of course, with the season. Most everyone where I live has considered some sort of water softening system, and each has some drawbacks. Until the Nuvo.

You can skip the next few paragraphs if you just want an opinion and don't want to get into the chemistry of water softening. I am a chemical engineer, although I am not a water expert. The internet seems to attract people who are complete nutbars about water ("Deionized water will kill you!" No it won't, but it will taste flat as hell. "Citric acid can't soften water!" True, but you don't care.) so a bit of theory might help buyers understand a bit about what they are looking for.

The bad actors in hard water are typically thought of as the bivalent cations Mg++ and Ca++. These have poor solubility in water and precipitate as scale, as well as requiring increased detergent concentrations and so on. But the cations are only part of the story: the bivalent anion that is found in association is carbonate (CO3--). It's the combination of the Ca++, Mg++, and CO3-- that creates the calcium and magnesium carbonate scales that destroy your glassware and plumbing.

Water softening generally replaces the Ca and Mg with sodium, so you end up with sodium carbonate dissolved in the water, which has much (much!!!) higher solubility in water. Great! No more scale! But there are problems with this approach.

First of all, soft water can't be consumed. The sodium isn't good for you and tastes terrible. Secondly, you still have high pH water (carbonate is still in it), now with soda ash in it (the common name for sodium carbonate), which feels slippery and is itself a component of detergent. If you think that your soft water never feels like it's rinsing the soap off, you might be right. Finally, the ionic exchange creates waste calcium and magnesium chloride, as well as sodium carbonate--you throw water down the drain, and the sodium and chloride concentration can be hard to deal with in the waste treatment plant and environment.

Could Ca and Mg exist in water without carbonate? Anything is possible, but the source of these ions is usually carbonate salts in prairie soils... on the plains, carbon is bound up in carbonate (so if you have hard water, you probably have high pH soil and need to sulfur it in the spring). On the east coast, carbon is bound up in forests, and the soil is acidic, and the water is delicious, pH neutral, and soft.

What about deionization, such as by reverse osmosis? The water tastes flat, so I don't know about drinking it. Otherwise, I know a lot of people who have had success with it.

The Nuvo, as I understand the marketing materials, chelates the bad actor ions with citric acid. This has the dual benefit of lowering the water pH and providing an experience similar to soft water.

Okay, for those who don't care about the...

Comments (5)