SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craftyrn

need suggestion for leftover baked ham

craftyrn
14 years ago

Hope everyone had a great Christmas--ate too much & enjoyed visits with family & friends--we sure did.

Now I want to do something "different" with the leftover ham besides ny usuals; bean & split pea soup,scallopped potatoes, tettrazini,ham salad .

What's your favorite way to use it up? TIA

Comments (21)

• lindac
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Chop it in the food processor and add a little grated onion pickle, bit of dijon mustard and enough mayo to make a spread....and put it on rye bread.
    Linda C

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LindaC, isn't that ham salad?

Here it's nearly always scalloped potatoes, so that doesn't help you either. My grandma used to make a ham loaf, like a meatloaf but with ground up ham, or ham balls.

Ham and cheese scones?

Annie

• Related Discussions

What do you do with left-over ham?

Q

Comments (29)
    I wrote this recipe for a contest I'm in; once you get past the paleness of the pork meatloaf compared to a beef, you'll be surprised at how tasty it is. I always bake a ham with 2 cups of leftovers in mind for this! ps: you can use all potatoes in the topping if you prefer Butternut Gold-Crowned Pork Meatloaf Meatloaf: 1/3 cup finely minced shallots or onions 2 eggs, slightly beaten 1 ( 8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (do not drain) 2 cups fine soft bread crumbs (about 4 to 5 slices white bread in food processor) 2 cups leftover baked ham, minced in food processor 1 pound ground pork Butternut Gold topping: 1 pound Butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (about 3 cups) 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (about 3 cups) 4 Tablespoons softened butter 1/4 to 1/2 cup warmed Half & Half (approximately) Preheat oven to 375º. Spray an 8" or 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine meatloaf ingredients, along with pepper to taste and mix to blend thoroughly. Press into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until thermometer inserted in center of loaf reaches 165º. While meatloaf is baking, prepare topping. Place squash and potato chunks in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain into a colander, then use a ricer to rice chunks back into cooking pot. Add butter, enough warm Half & Half for desired consistency, and salt and pepper to taste; mash until smooth. Cover and keep warm. When meatloaf is done, remove from oven and set broiler to heat. Blot meatloaf top lightly with paper towel to absorb any liquid, and cover with squash/potato topping. Place crowned meatloaf close to broiler and broil until very lightly browned. Makes 6 servings.
    ...See More

Honey Baked Ham

Q

Comments (25)
    Ignoring the outburst.....and back to hams... To me....as I know it....a "country ham" is one that has been dry aged and has to be soaked, scrubbed and boiled in 2 changes of water before being baked. Then there is a fully cooked ham which is ready to eat and only needs to be warmed to eat if you like it hot...if not then just cut 'er up and eat. Than there is something else.....it's not cooked and the package says it needs to be cooked at thus and so for thus and so number or hours, or until a thermometer in the thickest part registers 160 degrees. The last ham I bought like that (a Smithfield for a funeral lunch) was wonderful....even if a pain to prepare......and I know that they are "raw" because the one that someone else cooked was like raw meat inside....I had to bake it more. I have no idea how those raw, but not country hams are cured. And I LIKE brown sugar glazed ham and cranberry sauce on my turkey and applesauce with my pork and fruit stuffed pork loin and sweet and sour shrimp. I love asparagus with hollandaise and trice baked potatoes with sour cream and cheese. I like butter on my whole grain bread.....sometimes even JAM!!!!! Forget the honey glazed ham and add your own honey if you want it sweet. Linda C
    ...See More

what to do with leftover "Honeybaked Ham"???

Q

Comments (11)
    I simmer the whole ham hock for a half hour, to extract the sugars, fat, and salt. In a big pot of water. Pour off, then add fresh water. Simmer another 1/2 hour. White beans ready, soaked and simmering almost tender in another pot. Then add to the simmering ham hock. Lots of flavor and ham meat that falls off the bone. I cannot waste it and all that flavor. later i add some greens, lots of garlic, for a nice ham and white bean and greens soup.
    ...See More

Leftover Easter Ham...

Q

Comments (4)
    SIL had to work so it was just us and a small ham, which I stuck in the pressure cooker. Second night we had reruns...ham, and the leftover asparagus went into some leftover risotto. Then ham, cheese and kimchi paninis. Then a casserole with ham, spaetzle and broccoli. The bone and scraps went back into the pressure cooker and the broth and last hunk of ham are in the freezer for soup.
    ...See More
  • ann_t
    14 years ago

Diane, this is a recipe I have had for over 30 years. Have made it often to use up leftover baked ham.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Ham - Crepes A La Montespan
    ===========================
    Source - Pat Davis Cooking School,
    Grand Rapids, Michigan. 1980

This is not only a good recipe in and of itself, but also is a good model upon which you can build for endless variety

Crepes.

2/3 cups all - purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    pinch of sugar
    1-1/3 cups milk
    1-1/2 Tablespoon melted butter
    Margarine for frying crepes

Filling

2 Tablespoons butter plus 1
    Tablespoon cut into bits for the top

1-1/2 Tablespoon flour
    1 cup hot milk (Might need a bit
    more to thin down sauce)
    salt, pepper, and a pinch of nutmeg
    1 cup lean ham, finely diced (or
    substitute, chicken, shrimp,
    mushrooms or spinach)
    1 cup Reggiano Parmesan cheese,
    grated and another 4 Tablespoons for
    sauce and top
    Pinch of paprika
    1/2 egg yolk

Crepes

Put all but the butter in a blender and blend until smooth.
    Add butter and set aside for 30 minutes.

Cook crepes by heating a 6 or 7" crepe pan over moderate heat until it almost smokes. Rub pan with a bit of margarine and then add just enough batter, approximately 2 Tablespoons to film bottom of pan. It should sputter and form holes as you tilt the pan to cover the bottom. The thinner the better. When golden underneath, turn and cook about 20 to 30 seconds on the second side. The second side will be on the inside when you roll the crepes. Flip out and stack, one on top another, (they won't stick, even if you freeze them this way). Repeat greasing pan and cooking crepes until you finish. makes about 16.

Filling

Heat butter in a small saucepan until it foams. Off the heat, add flour and stir until smooth.Cook 2 minutes and then add hot milk all at once. Beat hard with a whisk until smooth.Cook, stirring, until it thickens. Season.
    If sauce is too thick to spread nicely, thin it with a bit more milk and return to the boil.Divide the sauce in half and mix one half with the ham, and one cup of cheese and paprika.

Spread a spoonful of ham and sauce combination on the flip side of the crepe and roll up. Arrange in a greased baking dish.Enrich the remaining sauce with the egg yolk and 2 Tablespoons grated cheese.Spread sauce over crepes and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Dot with butter an put in refrigerator to hold or a preheated 375F oven until
    heated through, about 15 to 20 minutes. Then brown under broiler.

• triciae
    14 years ago

We love these...

HAM IN RYE BUNS

These are great for watching football with your favorite potato salad.

Yield: 12 Buns

1 Tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
    Pinch Brown Sugar
    1 Cup Warm Water (110-115 degrees)
    2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
    4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter at Room Temperature
    1 Teaspoon Salt
    1 Egg
    3/4 Cup Medium-rye Flour
    2 1/2-3 Cups Unbleached All Purpose or Bread Flour

Ham & Sour Cream Filling:

2 Shallots, finely chopped
    2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
    1 Garlic Clove, Minced
    1 Pound Smoked or Honey-Baked Ham, ground in a food processor (3 Cups Ground)
    1/2 Cup Sour Cream
    2 Tablespoons Cognac or Brandy
    1 Teaspoon White Worcestershire Sauce
    2 Tablespoons Capers, drained, or 1/4 Cup Chopped Pecans

1.) In a large bowl or the work bowl of a heavy-duty electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, sprinkle the yeast and pinch of sugar over the warm water. Let stand for 10 minutes or until bubbly.

2.) Add the sugar, butter, salt, egg, and rye flour. Mix with a whisk or the mixer to blend. Add 1 cup of the unbleached flour. Beat hard until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the remaining unbleached flour 1/2 cup at a time until soft dough is formed and just clears the sides of bowl, switching to a wooden spoon when necessary if mixing by hand.

3.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until just smooth, about 1-2 minutes, adding 1 tablespoon of flour at a time as necessary to prevent sticking. The dough should be soft. Place the dough in a greased deep container, turn once to coat the top, and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm area until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

4.) Prepare Ham & Sour Cream Filling: In a medium saucepan, sauté the shallots in butter until soft but not brown. Add the garlic and cook only about 1 minute more. Stir in the ground ham, sour cream, Cognac or brandy, Worcestershire sauce, and capers or pecans. Refrigerate until needed, covered.

5.) Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 12" by 16" rectangle. With a sharp knife, divide the dough into twelve 4" squares. Place about 1/4 cup ham filling in the center of each square. Bring the opposite corners together and pinch to seal.

6.) Grease 12 standard-size muffin cups. Place a square of filled dough in each muffin cup, seam side down. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place until the buns are puffy and doubled, about 30-40 minutes. Twenty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 400 degrees.

7.) Bake in the preheated oven until well browned and springy to the touch, about 20-25 minutes. Let stand in the cups for 5 minutes, then, remove to racks to cool.

To bake the rolls a day or more ahead, refrigerate or freeze them, then reheat at 325 degrees on a baking sheet loosely covered with foil. Wrap warm buns in foil to transport.

Or, the rolls may be shaped and filled the night before, covered loosely with plastic wrap, and refrigerated overnight. Let stand at room temperature while preheating the oven for 20 minutes in the morning. Bake as directed.

/tricia

• blizlady
    14 years ago

I also have quite a bit of ham plus the ham bone left over from our Christmas dinner. My husband just loves spit pea soup with ham, but I have a bag of white northern beans so I started to search for recipes. Here is one that I found at allrecipes. It has a 5 star rating and a little different than the standard spit pea soup I always make! I'll give it a try tomorrow night because we will be gone all day today. I'll soak the beans tonight.

• blizlady
    14 years ago

And just to add, I did read through the majority of the reviews and there were many suggestions to eliminate the salt and add to taste after the soup is done, use chicken broth instead of water, and cut back on the amount of liquid for a heartier soup.

• trixietx
    14 years ago

I was thinking a ham and egg breakfast casserole. My DH just loves a fried ham sandwich.

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Quiche, ham omelettes, Challiapin spaghetti, ham and cheese stuffed croissants, ham and cheese melted in a warm bread roll, ham in cheese and onion sauce and stuffed into rolled pancakes, baked beans.

Challiapin Spaghetti
    Serves 6-8

1lbg mushrooms, sliced
    3 medium onions, diced
    4oz butter
    1 cup sour cream
    1 lb ham, shredded
    12 oz cheese, grated
    10 oz spaghetti, cooked and drained

Melt half the butter in a frying pan and sauté mushrooms and onions. Add sour cream. Mix remaining butter with the spaghetti in a deep casserole, then spoon mushroom/onion mixture over the spaghetti. Sprinkle shredded ham over the mushroom mixture, the top with grated cheese. Bake at 400F until the cheese melts.

Baked Beans

1 lb navy beans or other small white beans, soaked overnight, drained and washed
    10 oz ham or bacon, cut thick, then cut into strips about 3" x 1"
    2 large white onions, finely diced
    2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
    1/3 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    3 tsp Dijon mustard
    2 whole cloves
    1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 250F.
    Place beans in a large flameproof casserole. Add remaining ingredients and mix well to combine. Cover tightly and bake 6 to 8 hours, until beans are tender and sauce is thick. During last few hours check occasionally and add additional boiling water if needed, to prevent scorching.
    Can also be cooked in a crockpot for about 18 hours.

• pixistix
    14 years ago

Here's one of my recipes that I specifically have in mind for leftover baked ham when I make one - it sounds kind of weird, but it's really very tasty. Sometimes I use all gold potatoes in the topping when I don't have access to a butternut squash and it's equally as good.

Butternut Gold-Crowned Pork Meatloaf

Meatloaf:
    1/3 cup finely minced onions
    2 eggs, slightly beaten
    1 ( 8 oz.) can crushed pineapple (do not drain)
    2 cups fine soft bread crumbs (about 4 to 5 slices white bread in food processor)
    2 cups minced or processed leftover baked ham
    1 pound fresh ground pork

Butternut Gold topping:
    1 pound Butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (about 3 cups)
    1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks (about 3 cups)
    4 Tablespoons softened butter
    1/4 to 1/2 cup warmed Half & Half (approximately)

Preheat oven to 375º. Spray an 8" or 9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
    In a large bowl, combine meatloaf ingredients, along with pepper to taste and mix to blend thoroughly. Press into prepared pan and bake for 40 minutes, or until thermometer inserted in center of loaf reaches 165º.

While meatloaf is baking, prepare topping. Place squash and potato chunks in a large pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain into a colander, then use a ricer to rice chunks back into cooking pot. Add butter, enough warm Half & Half for desired consistency, and salt and pepper to taste; mash until smooth. Cover and keep warm.

When meatloaf is done, remove from oven and set broiler to heat. Blot meatloaf top lightly with paper towel to absorb any liquid, and cover with squash/potato topping. Place crowned meatloaf close to broiler and broil until very lightly browned.

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Here are some more....

{{gwi:2091777}}

Ham and Asparagus Pizza
    Posted by MQmoi

prepared pizza crust like Boboli (14 ounce) or your own homemade
    fresh head of garlic
    olive oil
    thyme
    1/3 cup Alfredo pasta sauce
    4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham or specialty ham like prosciutto or capicolla
    12 spears al dente asparagus, cut into pieces
    1-1/2 cup Gouda or Gruyere cheese

Remove top third of outer garlic layer.

Put in piece of foil. Drizzle with olive oil, season with thyme.

Bake at 375F for 45 minutes.

Cool enough to handle, then pop out creamy garlic into a small bowl. Mix in the Alfredo sauce. Set aside. Spread on crust when you are ready to assemble pizza. Layer ham evenly over crust, then asparagus, then top with cheese.

Lumberjack Hash from Cooking Light INGREDIENTS: 2 teaspoons vegetable oil 2 teaspoons butter 1 cup chopped onion 1 cup chopped green bell pepper 2 garlic cloves, minced 8 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed (about 1 pound) 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper 4 ounces ham, diced 3/4 cup (3 ounces) reduced\-fat shredded cheddar cheese INSTRUCTIONS: Heat oil and butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes. Add bell pepper and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and ham; cook 16 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown, stirring occasionally. Top with cheese; cook 2 minutes or until cheese melts.

Ham, Fontina, and Spinach Bread Pudding

1 large baguette (about 3/4 pound)
    2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
    2 onions, chopped
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 pound cooked ham, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    4 large eggs
    4 cups whole milk
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Freshly ground black pepper
    6 cups spinach leaves (about 1 bunch), coarsely chopped
    3/4 pound fontina, grated

Preheat broiler.

Diagonally cut baguette crosswise into 3/4-inch thick slices and brush both sides with butter. Toast on a baking sheet under broiler 3 inches from heat until golden, about 30 seconds on each side. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Cook onions in oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden. Add ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until ham is lightly browned.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl and whisk in milk, salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Add toasted bread and toss gently. When the bread is saturated, transfer it to a shallow 3-quart casserole, slightly overlapping slices. Add any remaining egg mixture.

Tuck spinach and ham between slices, reserving a little ham to sprinkle over top. Sprinkle cheese over pudding, lifting slices with a spatula to allow some to fall between them. Sprinkle reserved ham over pudding and bake in middle of oven until puffed and edges of bread are golden and custard is set in middle, about 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Cooks' note: Bread pudding can be assembled 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Increase baking time to 1 hour and 10 minutes if bread pudding is cold when put in oven, and cover top with foil after 45 minutes to prevent over-browning.

,i>My notes-do not substitute French bread for baguette. Needs a dense bread. It needed to bake longer than the directions called for. Bake until golden and puffy.

Ham & Corn Mini Casseroles From Family Circle Best Ever Recipes Vol II 1 10\-oz package frozen corn, thawed 1/4 c flour 4 eggs, 1\-1/2 c milk 2 tsp sugar 3/4 tsp salt 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper 1/8 tsp ground cayenne pepper 2 oz baked ham, chopped (I used 4 oz) 1\-1/2 c shredded Swiss cheese (I used 8 oz) Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease 6 one\-cup ramekins and set aside. Combine 1 cup corn, flour and eggs in bowl of food processor. Process until well blended and no lumps remain. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Whisk in milk, sugar, salt, peppers, ham and remaining corn until well combined. Pour into prepared ramekins and place in a large baking pan. Pour water in the pan to come half way up the sides of the ramekins. Bake 30\-40 minutes until golden brown and set in the center. Remove casseroles from the water bath, may be served warm or cold. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Croque Monsieur 4 thick slices French Bread 4 tsp honey mustard 6 oz thinly sliced ham 4 slices Swiss Cheese 1/2 c milk 3 large egg whites Cooking Spray Cut a slit in each bread slice to form a pocket. Spread 1 tsp honey mustard into each bread pocket. Divide ham and cheese evenly among bread slices. Combine milk and egg whites in a shallow bowl, stirring with a whisk. Dip sandwiches, one at a time, in the milk/egg mixture, turning to coat. Heat a large non\-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium\-high heat. Add two sandwiches, cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining two sandwiches. Yield: 4 servings Linda
  • aliceinmd
    14 years ago

Here's a recipe my mother and her friends shared in the 1950's:

SOUTHERN HAM LOAF
    2 pounds ground pork
    2 pounds ground ham
    3 eggs
    2 cups rolled graham crackers
    1-1/2 cups milk
    1 small onion, chopped
    Mix, then mold into a loaf and put in an open baking pan (not in a loaf pan).

Baste with this sauce:
    1 can tomato soup
    1/3 soup can cider vinegar
    1/3 soup can water
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 Tablespoon dry mustard
    Bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours; or, bake at 275 degrees for 1 hour then 350 degrees for 2-2/1 hours. The full recipe serves 8-10.

Serve with a mustard sauce made by combining 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons prepared mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon prepared horseradish.

I ate this many times before I knew it had graham crackers in it, but it was always a yummy way to use up leftover ham.

• ruthanna_gw
    14 years ago

I like the combination of ham and asparagus both in crepes and in an omelet with Swiss or brie cheese.

When I get down toward the bone, I usually cut it into cubes and grind it in my mini chopper. Some ways to use ground ham:

1) Add ground ham and cheddar cheese to turn twice-baked potatoes from a side dish to a microwaveable main course.
    2) Add to hollandaise sauce and pour over a whole steamed cauliflower.
    3) Stuff halved zucchini or eggplant with ground ham, rice, chopped tomatoes, seasonings, sauteed chopped onions and the zucchini centers. Top with cheese and microwave or bake.
    4) Ground ham can be mixed in when making scrambled or devilled eggs.
    5) Substitute ground ham for sausage when making stuffed mushrooms
    6) Sprinkle on cooked green beans
    7) Mix with some cream cheese and finely chopped sweet red peppers and scallions. Stuff mixture into hollowed out cucumbers, chill and slice
    8) Stuff large pasta shells with ground ham, spinach and ricotta cheese
    9) Ground ham mixed with cream cheese, a bit of drained crushed pineapple and curry powder makes an interesting filling for tea sandwiches.
    10) Saute ham, finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil. Add drained and chopped cooked spinach. Mound on top of slightly scooped out halved tomatoes. Cover top of mixture with Parmesan cheese and bake.

Baked eggs - Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put about a tablespoon of cooked sausage or ground up leftover ham in a custard cup. Break an egg over it and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon of milk or cream. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Serve with toast fingers. Can sprinkle grated cheese on top or add a bit of herbs.

• indicanoe
    14 years ago

My favorite way to use it up is ham hash. Grind it up with a few boiled potatoes, and a cooked(micro'd) onion. Then you put the mix into a baking dish and bake until the top starts to turn brown. Serve with buttered english muffins, and if your feeling extra fancy fried eggs. Oh yum, now I need to go get a small ham so I can make this.

• iris_gal
    14 years ago

When my husband suggested this years ago for leftover ham I thought he was off his rocker.
    Since he had impeccable food instincts I did it. Yum.

When heating refried beans for burritos, add cubed ham.
    If using a 16 oz. can refried beans, add about 1/2 c. ham. I also add about 1/4 c. (or more) hot! salsa and grated Monterey Jack (about a cup) & heat til melted//blended in. Pile into a warm flour tortilla. Fold and eat. The cheese calms the hot sauce so you can enjoy its flavor. Thin with milk if needed.

If doing refried beans from scratch the ham bone is excellent flavoring (if you can forego split pea soup ;).

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

This is a good quick and easy dish when you're not to fussed on making something more elaborate:
    Supper Dish
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon butter
    2/3 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    6 eggs
    2 cups grated cheese
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/2 cup chopped ham or bacon

Saute onions in butter, add ham or bacon. Sift dry ingredients. Beat eggs, fold in cheese, then dry ingredients, the onion/ham mixture. Pour large spoonfuls onto a hot greased griddle or frying pan and cook as you would small pancakes. Flip and cook to golden brown on both sides.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

One other you might consider....

Sauerkraut Balls

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 cup finely chopped cooked ham
    1/2 clove garlic, crushed
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    2 cups sauerkraut, drained
    and minced
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 cup beef broth

1 egg
    2 cups milk
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    4 cups fine dry bread crumbs
    1 quart oil for frying

In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat.
    Add onion and cook until softened. Stir in ham and garlic. Cook mixture, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Stir in 6 tablespoons flour and cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes.

Stir in sauerkraut, parsley, and broth; cook for 3 minutes or until thickened and paste-like. Spread mixture on a platter or cookie sheet and chill for at least 3 hours.

Heat oil in deep-fryer or electric frying pan to 375 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and 2 1/2 cups flour. Shape the sauerkraut mixture by level teaspoons in to balls, dip them into the egg mixture and roll them in the bread crumbs.

Fry balls in batches for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden
    brown. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Serve warm.

• mikes100acdreamfarm
    14 years ago

Plain old simple comfort food.
    Mac and Cheese Casserole
    Cube the ham
    Add to cooked pasta of your choice (usually elbow or shell here)
    Make a cheese sauce from a base cream sauce and the cheese of your choice
    Mix hot pasta, ham and some fresh or frozen peas. Mix in cheese sauce.
    Place in greased casserole. Top with crushed cracker crumbs (Usually Ritz or Club)
    Dot with butter and bake in 350* oven until the crumb topping is slightly brown and the casserole is bubbly. Like I said nothing fancy but a favorite here.

• craftyrn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thx all -- I've copied & pasted !!

But what really caught my eye was the Ham in Rye Buns and that simple Supper Dish.

• christine
    14 years ago

Ham Balls are a favorite in my husband's family, so I usually make them after I have a ham. This recipe is similar, I don't have the family recipe at work with me...but if it sounds like flavors you would like, I can post the recipe later.

Glazed Ham Balls Recipe

Ingredients:
    1 lb. smoked ham, ground
    1/2 lb. pork, ground
    1 egg
    3/4 c. corn flakes
    1/2 tsp. salt

Sauce:
    1/2 tsp. dry mustard
    1/4 c. vinegar
    1/2 c. brown sugar

Cooking Directions:
    Mix meat, egg, and salt. Shape into balls. Roll in corn flakes. Place in casserole. Heat sauce to boiling. Pour over meat. Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

I made colleenoz's Supper Dish for lunch today & want to report that DH REALLY liked it. It's similar to potato pancakes. I made only a half recipe for the two of us, fried three 'cakes' & have enough left for two more for breakfast this weekend. Thanks, Colleen, it's a keeper.

• colleenoz
    14 years ago

Glad you like it, Kathleen! That recipe is travelling around the world- I'm pretty sure I got it from a friend's community cookbok from her former home in South Africa. So from South Africa to Australia to the US :-)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor