SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stitz_crew

Main water supply sizing and material

stitz_crew
11 years ago

We are in the planning stages of a new build and looking at sizing of the main water supply pipe from the meter. It will roughly run 250'-300' from meter. I was looking at either going with black PE or PEX trenched with sand under/over. Here in TN the Frost line is not too far so trenching should not be much concern. I am not exactly sure on the dia of pipe to use from the meter or what size meter. It will be a larger home of 5.5 baths with a Fixture Unit (WSFU) of ~85-95. A 2" meter seems like overkill especially if water company charges a higher base fee for larger meter. It seems that if we went with 1.5" meter with 2" pipe it nets around 120 WSFU at PSI range of 30-45. 198 at 45-60 psi. Would a 1.5" pipe be a possibility? We forsee having at most 5 total people living in the house at a given time. Id rather be on the cautious side since we are talking about 300' of burried pipe. Right now I am leaning at using a 300' roll of black pe with 200 psi rating (a little cheaper and longer track record than pex). What is the ideal psi range to look at for sizing (50 psi or less)? Any of your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)