SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ezgrower

Need advice: softener backwash/overflow disposal

ezgrower
17 years ago

I purchased a house that is on hard well water, and replaced the old water softener in the basement (DIY). Backwash discharge of the old softener was completely bad: direct connection (no air gap) through a steel pipe cemented through the cement block foundation wall above the control valve. I don't know where this pipe goes. With other jobs needing immediate attention, I sacrificed my sump pump by temporarily discharging the new softener into the sump pit. No surprise -- the pump is now a useless blob of rust.

I've stomped out my other fires, and now I want to find a permanent solution for the softener discharge. I don't like the idea of poking another hole lower in the basement wall (for one thing, it would be about 8 feet below grade on the outside of the wall), so I'd like to be able to discharge to the septic tank. That means pumping brine up 6 to 8 feet. I need to install a discharge pump (eg. Drainosaur) to get laundry grey water into the septic line (existing laundry was set up to drain into the sump pit!). Is there something similar that would handle the brine backwash from a water softener without disintegrating? How else could this be done?

Comments (7)