SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heyrady

old shih tzu terrorizes new mother

heyrady
15 years ago

I have a shih tzu named ebony. She is 15.5 years old, though you really wouldn't know it to look at her, people still ask me what my puppy's name is! She has lived with me for all of that time, but for when I travelled, and I love her to unspeakable degrees. She eats raw food, goes for lots of walks and get plenty of loving.

The current health problems that she has, are that she has become a hard of hearing now, so I always have to walk her with a leash, whereas she used to follow my ankle everywhere. In the summer of last year, I took her to the vet for a cough, and found out that she has congestive heart failure. She has been on medication for the heart failure for a year now, and she is responding VERY well to it. Her energy level, her appetite (food and water), her "going out" habits and her personality have all returned to what they were. I did not realize that these were all sypmtoms of congestive heart faliure, I had just chalked it up to her getting older, but now she has her bounce back.

Here is my problem though:

In the last couple of months though, she has started really "acting up". She will wake up at around 3 am and pee on the carpet and then trot into our room and whine at the foot of the bed. We used to take her out, and put her back to bed, but she follows us into the bedroom and whines and then starts to bark. In the last few weeks, we would wake as soon as we head the jingle of her collar and run to take her outside so she didn't make a mess on the floor, and so now she has stopped peeing, but she still comes in to whine and bark. So in order to get some sleep, we've just started plunking her on the bed and she quiets and goes to sleep immediately. But the barking to wake us up is causing other problems, first of all my partner can't deal with it, second we get no sleep and third I got an elbow to the eye this morning cause she gave us such a start!

I found out about a month ago that I am 2 months pregnant. I am thinking that maybe ebony can sense this.... but it still doesn't really explain her behaviour.. does it? And though she is my favorite fluuf ball ever, I REALLY need my sleep now, and when the baby comes, her barking and whining will surely wake the new little one.

I can't really go back to having her sleep on the bed like i did years ago when i was single. But i am really unsure how to teach my dear old dog that this can't go on. Any advice?

Comments (10)