SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vanillafields

Living room...work in progress :)

vanillafields
12 years ago

Hello All, I posted a while back about furniture placement in our living area. The room is rectangular, long and has either windows or fireplace or the entry door on each wall. That leaves us with a trouble in figuring out how to place our furniture. Furthermore, the longish room is divided into 2 areas, visible in the trim and the two-colored floor (we're renting, so no improvements possible here). We made the first area into a playspace for my toddler, while the area with the FP is more adult-oriented. Originally, the sofa was backing to the entry door and the TV was on the short wall where the poster now hangs. We decided to put the couch along the window and not divide the room more than necessary, the bookcase fit in perfectly between the trim and the window (used to be on the opposite wall). The console table went on the (ONLY) full wall next to entrance (used to be behind the floating sofa). I'm planning to make it into a frame wall, am collecting B&W photos of my family right now, and black frames. I think the setup is much better now..

My questions:

1. What do I put in the corners? The corner between the sofa and the poster is empty.Does it look weird that way or it needs something? The other side of the couch, there's a round table that will be going out - it seems too clustered there already to me..

2. I'm thinking to put a tall white cubby bookcase type unit on the other side of the bookcase, to hold the toys better. Thought of Ikea Expedit 5x1?

3. Introducing more color? I'd love to put some orange into the room as it's basically white and black/brown right now.. Pulling the orange (or dark blue) from the poster.. How (I hate pillows on the couch.. ours is not deep enough and they all slide down :((. Would an accent table in a bright color too much?

4. Don't like the look of the TV stand.. Too much happening there. Thought of a plain white cabinet with doors or such to hide the clutter... Thanks in advance! (Was trying to find my old post with the previous setup but it was too far back).

Comments (7)